Seat Leon FR - tyre choice?

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
mines a company car - they fitted Michelin Pilot sports and they are fantastic. Road noise is down quite a bit and jesus christ they grip like **** to a blanket in the dry!! If its a lease car get michelins!

kezFR07

now with ko4 power
Jun 15, 2008
yorkshire
I used to have bridgys n pirrellis but just got 4 new bf goodrich Tyres on I believe Michelin make them so they are a quality tyre and for the right money too, got 4 fitted and balenced for £300

Just digging up this old thread after getting 4 x Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's from camskill for £84.90 each plus £10 delivery for the lot. Local Nationwide depot is going to fit them for £10 all in per wheel - quite a saving. Also ordered some Avon 195/50 R15 ZV3's for the wife's Yaris at the same time - nice looking assymetrical tyre.

BTW camskill have just altered their website to show it is £2.50 delivery per tyre, not £10 delivery per order... I got all 8 tyres delivered next day for £10. :D

Doh!

Turned up to my local Nationwide depot with my shiny new tyres and after seeing them they said: "We can't fit tyres that big." :wtf:

They are standard 225/40 R18's but this Nationwide depot can only fit tyres up to 17". Said they'd try to fit them if I signed a waver that I would accept responsibility for any scratches or damage to the alloys... :censored:

So off to Kwik-Fit on Monday who said no problem, we can fit tyres up to 28" and more. Going to cost me an extra tenner is all.

arry37

could anyone have the answer why one of my rear tyres is worn badly on the inside thaks a lot.

arry37

thanks for that did i mention it also has had a weird whine noise from back end also that is what i was told this execive wearing is down to.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
I had 17" Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my FR TDi from new (225/45 R17 91Y)

The front set lasted ~12.5k miles before needing replacing.
Replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, which have done ~14k miles and will soon need replacing.

The rear set of RE050s have made it to ~26.5k miles, but last serviced flagged up uneven wear on the inner edges (same issue as thread-starter 'B-Man'). There's still probably 2-3k miles of tread left, but the noise they are making is starting to bug me.

I've been told I'll need to replace all 4 together, and get 4-wheel alignment done to cure the uneven rear wear.

Any suggestions for decent grip and reasonable wear during average/spirited driving? (Ideally would like >12k miles from the fronts and at least 25k miles from the rears)

More Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics maybe?
Or worth a go with Falken FK452s?
(Bridgestone RE050s are a fall-back, but as they didn't last that well on the front I'm keen to inevstigate alternatives)

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
I had 17" Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my FR TDi from new (225/45 R17 91Y)

I've been told I'll need to replace all 4 together, and get 4-wheel alignment done to cure the uneven rear wear.

Any suggestions for decent grip and reasonable wear during average/spirited driving? (Ideally would like >12k miles from the fronts and at least 25k miles from the rears)

More Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics maybe?
Or worth a go with Falken FK452s?
(Bridgestone RE050s are a fall-back, but as they didn't last that well on the front I'm keen to inevstigate alternatives)

Well though mine's just a sport and lowered I'd stay away from the F1's and FK452's
You can see the thread melting away on the FK452, they have the uneven wear and they SUCKED in the wet.
Also I don't get why so many still have these on their wish list...the tyre model is so old. Things have moved along quite a lot since they were designed.
I've had the F1 on the rear, also uneven wear. No idea why. Alignment was/is correct and the shocks and springs are fine according to the dealer.
If it's a company car I'd pick Michelin pilot sport or exalto's.
If I had to buy them myself I'd look for the Continental SportContact 3 or try the Hankook S1 Evo's. They get high praise everywhere but still not sure about the wear on those.

All of this of course just my 2 cents ;)

going back to the tyre wear issue how is everyone else finding inside tyre wear? I had 4 wheel alignment done last year when I got my new wheels and springs... however the inside tread is literally a slick first bit of pattern apears 5cm in!!!! What's going on!!??

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
michelin PS3's are also very good apparently. I'll probably be trying them next after my full set of eagle f1 assy. Can't fault the F1's excellent tyre, both in wet and dry. However michelins are supposed to last longer and grip is just as good. Also camskill were selling for just over £100 per tyre for 18" which i think is a bargain.

The rear tyre wear is excessive rear camber from factory settings. Had my camber reduced for 2 yrs now and tyre wear and noise are all in control.

It's my front ones that are BAAAAD

here we go:
tyrewear.jpg

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
I had inside wear problem (very common), replaced with Conti SC3 and had 4 wheel alignment to correct, 7k miles in, no probs so far (touch wood). Great tyre though, wearing well with plenty of tread left, although I do do a lot of motorway miles. grip is plentiful and seems consistent in levels with the previous Dunlop Sport Maxx's I had on the front. Conti's cost me about £400 fitted, balanced etc.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.