Seat Leon 52 plate EPC light

maxthomas

Evening all,

Help needed

I have had this problem on and off for a few years.

I start the car, the EPC light is on and when pressing the accelerator the car stutters, I turn the ignition off, then on again and the light appears again (but the pedal works fine and drives ok).

I had the throttle body changed after this showed on the VAG machine, then 1 month later, EPC light again and the body was tested and was not at fault (although the VAG machine said the body was to blame)

Somebody at my local garage decided to take apart the pedal and put it back together and this solved it for 6 months.

Now the Light is back and is getting worse, the car now doesn't always start second time, its now 3rd or 4th.

Anybody had similar problems, or anybody from the Newton abbot/Devon area have a machine they can test it on?

Thank you ever so much

Max

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Could be a few different things, what model Leon have you got? If it has a turbo then it could be dying MAF or dodgy MAF connector. Since cleaning the throttle pedal sensor helped for a while then I'd try changing that.

What you need to ask for is someone with VAGCOM in your area to scan your car for the fault codes. Best place to do that is the VAGCOM section near the bottom of the main list of forum sections, there's a sub-section in there just for that.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Engine code would be very helpful info for us.
It could just be the electronic pedal itself is dogy and needs replacing.
A fault code reader/vag com should display if this is an issue, however it does not mean that it is the only problem causing this.

maxthomas

I have had the throttle body changed before and have also posted in the VAG request forum and havnt had any responses.

So I am waiting to see if anybody can help.

Iv had this problem on and off for 3 years :(

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I have had the throttle body changed before and have also posted in the VAG request forum and havnt had any responses.

So I am waiting to see if anybody can help.

Iv had this problem on and off for 3 years :(

Throttle body and throttle pedal sensor are different things tho, I read that you'd changed the throttle body (that's the bit in the engine bay on the end of the intake manifold) but have you had the throttle pedal sensor changed?

If you can't get help in the VAGCOM section then you could spend £20 on a cheap hand-held code reader and scan the car for faults yourself. This thing will come in handy in the future too.

maxthomas

How do i reset this? It was reset when the new one was fitted around a year ago.

also I have never had the throttle sensor changed aswell.

on a different note and I dont know if its linked , my temperature gauge is never consistent, it goes to 90 and then drop to the bottom, then goes to 90, then drops again.

I dont know why it does this either, and the garage say the temp gauge is fine, but it should do that surely.

Max

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
You need VAGCOM or at least VCDS Lite to reset the throttle body, if this wasn't done when it was replaced then as Pat ssuggests it'll probably still be out of alignment.

You might actually be as well to get one of the cheap ebay VAGCOM cables (about £8.50) then get the VCDS Lite application from www.ross-tech.com and register it. It's $99 to register (you'll need that to do anything useful with it, like throttle body reset) which works out about £60. Then you're free to scan the car for faults, do throttle body resets, log performance data whenever you want, you'll just need a laptop.

EDIT - the temp gauge thing sounds like a faulty coolant temp sensor, or dirty contacts in the coolant header tank. That's been covered loads of times this winter, quick search on here will give you a good few threads to read up on.

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
another throttle body reset trick is

Ignition on (lights on not engine)
Open Drivers Door
Open Bonnet

Listen for high pitched whirring sound ( mine took 10 secs - advice is 30-40 secs)

done

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex

Open Drivers Door
Open Bonnet

Listen for high pitched whirring sound ( mine took 10 secs - advice is 30-40 secs)

done

That might help but wont mechanically effect the TB. Think it might be resetting the ECU?

Theres a thread on here somewhere showing the difference.

maxthomas

Open Drivers Door
Open Bonnet

done

cheers bud, thats removed the light etc and now starts perfect first time, It wont fix the mechanical fault but will sure help me for the time being, LEGEND!

gaz1211

cupra_gaz
Jun 28, 2014
Leicester
Hi I read this thread because iv just had same problem I have reset throttle body like it said and the epc light has gone out but now the engine management light has come on y is this thanks

JamesLennox

May 2, 2015
Are all seat Leon cupra r sensor accelerater or are they like a golf and over 2003 are sensor?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.