• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Seat Ibiza FR 1.0 engine idle ticking noise normal?

Jun 28, 2021
Hey all.

Have had my 17 plate seat for about 9 months now.well happy with it.

Just want know are these models known for having a ticking/tapping noise when the engine is idle?
its even louder when i first start the car up before it idles at 900rpm.it almost sounds like a sewing machine!

took the car into seat for inspection and they told me nothing is wrong.

is this normal ?

cheers

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Most likely the injectors on these little engines , loads of them do it.

my old Astra 1.0t 3 cyl did it , my old ecoboost 3 cyl the same , all noisy and sometimes diesel like at times but normal.

Reactions: stuartb04

kurac338

Mar 30, 2020
Croatia
Hey all.

Have had my 17 plate seat for about 9 months now.well happy with it.

Just want know are these models known for having a ticking/tapping noise when the engine is idle?
its even louder when i first start the car up before it idles at 900rpm.it almost sounds like a sewing machine!

took the car into seat for inspection and they told me nothing is wrong.

is this normal ?

cheers
The new EA211 engines (1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI) do have "ticking" noises, since they are using higher compression and powerful fuel injectors.
These new direct injection engines like to run lean and out of timing on purpose during the startup and idle phases (for fuel efficiency and gradual warm up reasons). So it just might take some tome for you to get used to it.

I have a 1.5 TSI Ibiza and it does subtly tick on idle, no matter if dead cold or well in operating temperature. As long as you don't feel any difference while driving, and you don't hear ticking, you should be fine.

And your description sounds exactly right, it does sound like a sewing machine :LOL:

Jun 28, 2021
Thanks for the replies.
yea its fine whilst driving,its just the initial start up.
you think i would be used to it after 9 months!!!
but now i know that its normal i can try and not think about it.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
My 2016 CHZB engined Ibiza ST (1.0 litre tsi so probably same engine as yours) does make noticeable ticking/tapping noises when cold. Some of it's probably the injectors which operate at very high pressures indeed compared to the older port injected engines but I think some of it is also created by the valve train, in particular the roller cam followers. Mine quietens down to being almost inaudible once up to full operating temperature so I'm not worrying about it, but she does sound a bit like a "bag of old nails" when cold!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I used to have the 2016 mk5 FL Ibiza with the said 1.0 EcoTSI engine. From cold start, the exhaust (real twin pipe left exit) was fairly loud, but it calmed down after few mins. Slight ticking noise, I believe so, tapping noise, didn't notice, but wasn't paying attention as the engine drove fine for the entire 24 months I had it. Please note, i never opened the engine compartment when engine was on. Only once I started the car, and went to the rear as I forgot to close the boot, and noticed, oh yea, engine is quite loud on cold start.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.