Reversing camera not working 2021 Formentor

Mobile Chicane

Jul 16, 2024
So popped the car into reverse this morning and the reversing camera just shows a blank screen.

no warning lights that I can see,

any one else had this ?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
So popped the car into reverse this morning and the reversing camera just shows a blank screen.

no warning lights that I can see,

any one else had this ?
Have you checked that the camera is still physically in place? There have been instances (with Leons specifically), where the camera has fallen out!

Mobile Chicane

Jul 16, 2024
so camera is still in position, I do appear to have the latest firmware, also the guide lines don't appear on the screen either but the parking sensors still work.

its going into cupra tomorrow afternoon to be looked at,

I have a third party warranty which has already paid out on the steering rack creak so I'm hoping that if it is costly they can pay the bill on this one as well.

TBH for a 33k 3 year old car I'm less than impressed.

I may see if the place where the camera is mounted is removable, I've already tried a reset of the infotainment system with no luck.

Mobile Chicane

Jul 16, 2024
So went into Cupra Didcot this afternoon and they have confirmed the camera is dead, they are adamant there is no recall on it and are looking to use the after market warranty I have from the non Cupra dealer I bought the car from to pay for the replacement.

Now the warranty co COULD say no which leaves me in a potential bind as I think the cost for this may be quite high.

Obviously I need to wait for the quote and for the decision from the warranty company however I think I may need to contact Cupra UK to see if there is any goodwill available on this as a reversing camera failing within 3 years is a bit rubbish IMO

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So went into Cupra Didcot this afternoon and they have confirmed the camera is dead, they are adamant there is no recall on it and are looking to use the after market warranty I have from the non Cupra dealer I bought the car from to pay for the replacement.

Now the warranty co COULD say no which leaves me in a potential bind as I think the cost for this may be quite high.

Obviously I need to wait for the quote and for the decision from the warranty company however I think I may need to contact Cupra UK to see if there is any goodwill available on this as a reversing camera failing within 3 years is a bit rubbish IMO

If you’ve not already done so, it would be worth reading through your aftermarket warranty booklet. Being familiar with the scope of the warranty cover should give you a good idea of the likelihood of the warranty company covering the cost in full of replacing your camera. It’ll also put you in a better / stronger position if you feel it appropriate to challenge the warranty company’s decision if they’re not prepared to cover the cost.

These aftermarket warranties generally limit the cover to sudden and unexpected electrical and mechanical failures but as with all insurance based warranties, there will be a number of exclusions and conditions in the small print. There may also be a monetary limit per claim the warranty company will pay, plus there might be an excess for you to pay.

Last edited:

Mobile Chicane

Jul 16, 2024
The warranty co have paid out once already on a fix for a steering creak which I was told by cupra was in a technical bulletin.

As a precaution I have contacted cupra uk directly as a component like this should not be failing on a 3 year old 33k mile car, I may have to go down sale of goods act with cupra via the dealer I bought it from (non cupra) if I get no joy.

I can afford to replace it I just don't think it should have failed like it did so early on, I strongly suspect a manufacturing defect on the camera unit itself which I believe is VW part no 5WA.980.556.B this part number is linked to a recall

in the US,

Reactions: djmartzian

Mobile Chicane

Jul 16, 2024
Ok update time. cupra have offered me goodwill off 100% off the labour and 70% off the part price so now its going to cost me about £90 rather than £750.

My warranty co may even pay the £90 as well, I did need to badger cupra a bit but hopefully this will be of use if anyone else has this issue

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.