Recommendation for 18" tyres

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
The Bridgestones are utter crap, I'm down to 3mm on mine now so time to replace I reckon. No grip on them in the dry and definitely no grip in the recent snow either, can't believe they're so bad for a "premium" brand.

Pilot Sport 4 looks to be the ones when I get them replaced. On my other car I put Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse which I'm also happy with.

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
1.4 150 FR on 18's.
Mangled one of my wheels this morning when skidded into kerb, now the tyre has a slice in it and wheel kerbed :(

So, can anyone recommend a good all round tyre or point to a previous thread please?

I know this has probably been done to death but I'm at work at the moment and feeling annoyed!
A good all round tyre is recomended stay away from the square ones

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
Take a look on the blackcircles website - each tyre has ratings for noise, fuel economy etc.

Pick one with the lowest db rating.
Point to note - db ratings are logarithmic so a difference of 3db would appear half/double as loud depending if it is higher/lower.

Just checked, Michelin Primacy 4's @ 68DB (110.90 each fitted), there is one tyre that has 67 but it's got a poor rolling resistance rating, the primacy's also have excellent dry and wet ratings...... better price than I was expecting! Not only are the Potenza's noisy, they have an absolute crap rolling resistance rating.

Last edited:

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
Had Continental ContiSport 5's from the factory on my FR which had an astonishingly poor wear rate.
I will definitely avoid Continental tyres in the future.

I replaced them with Michelin SuperSports which were vastly superior in terms of both grip (wet and dry) and longevity.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
when I first got my Leon it had bridgestones all round, they performed well but were very noisy. I had passengers asking what the noise was lol

now running goodyear F1A3's and Michelin PS4's. When new the difference is night and day. The new tyres almost being silent. Now 10-15K miles in the road noise is increasing again.

I've experienced this on 2 previous VW group cars. The road noise increases as the tyres wear down.

Bridge. are always noisy, they kinda rubble. I can only speak for the Golf and Leon but both wear the inner edge of tyres on the rear due to the excessive camber the run, of which causes poor noise within the cabin. I can only presume as other makes don't suffer from this the rear set up is not quite right..

Sep 15, 2023
Do you have any links to these safety & quality requirments you mection?

Whilst I agree, at present if you require feel togehter with a progressive tyre some of the low end premium/top end budgets will offer this and more putting some so called top big brands to shame, normally the trade off been they don't last quite as long..

Avon Cooper are a quality tyre, but if you don't push a car then even the Linglongs won't let go, until of course, you need to stop, of which many do not consider when buying tyes as it'll never happen to them.. Renting an apartment in Furn Al Chebak offers a blend of traditional charm and modern convenience. This residential area is known for its relatively affordable rental prices and community-oriented atmosphere. A one-bedroom apartment typically costs between $500 and $900 per month to Rent an apartment in Furn Al Chebak. Furn Al Chebak provides easy access to local markets, schools, and public transportation. Its central location makes it a practical choice for those commuting to other parts of Beirut while enjoying a quieter, more laid-back environment.
I'm looking to replace the tyres on my ZE40, 16 inch rims. Any recommendations on reasonably-priced options?

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
For me I'd look towards Bridgestone Potenza Sport or T005, Kumho PS71 which I think I'd have over the T005 unless you after a less sporter feel and softer ride then Goodyear Assy6 or Uniroyal Rainsport 5..

iainbert

May 10, 2024
Ayrshire
I just put Goodyear efficient grips on mine, I had them on my subaru and they were brillaint, so I'm hoping they are as good on this. I had dunlop sportmaxx on my loan and took them off after a year because they were awful

Jun 6, 2024
Non-FR on FR 18s here. I got my Hankook K135 2 months ago and am very happy with them. Silent and decent on fuel.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Got Michelin Pilot Sport 5’s all round on my FR. Had PS4s on it before and highly rated them, and the 5s have thus far been excellent- crazy levels of grip on a warm day, brilliant in the wet and not bad in the winter either. With 500nm going through the front wheels the difference in grip vs cheap tyres is massive!

Reactions: Stringster
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.