Recommendation for 18" tyres

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
1.4 150 FR on 18's.
Mangled one of my wheels this morning when skidded into kerb, now the tyre has a slice in it and wheel kerbed :(

So, can anyone recommend a good all round tyre or point to a previous thread please?

I know this has probably been done to death but I'm at work at the moment and feeling annoyed!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
1.4 150 FR on 18's.
Mangled one of my wheels this morning when skidded into kerb, now the tyre has a slice in it and wheel kerbed :(

So, can anyone recommend a good all round tyre or point to a previous thread please?

I know this has probably been done to death but I'm at work at the moment and feeling annoyed!

I'm happy on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3 - sensible fitted price on blackcircles.

shanky77

Sep 26, 2005
Ipswich, Suffolk
Another vote for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3 here. Just had 4 fitted and been great so far and have really good rim protectors for when the Mrs drives it!

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I found the Goodyear Asymmetric 3 are noisy at motorway speeds, between 65 and 75... not sure if I just had a bad pair but it would put me off risking getting them again.

Generally I'd only go premium but I had to replace some tyres quickly and relatively cheaply recently. I went for some Toyo Proxes Sport which were in stock somewhere local. They actually seem pretty good to me - at least as much grip as the Potenzas they replaced. There are probably loads of decent options in the midrange but it's hit and miss and safer to just go for premium.

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
Personally I don't see the point in purchasing premium tyres for anything other than high powered vehicles. Yes there are differences between different makes but at the end of the day all tyres are made to meet the same safety & quality requirements. In 25 years of driving I've had many different makes and the only ones that have been truly awful were a set of remoulds about 20years ago.
I replaced the factory Conti's on my 184 TDI with Avon ZV7's and can honestly say they are quieter, grippier in all conditions and have lasted longer.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Personally I don't see the point in purchasing premium tyres for anything other than high powered vehicles. Yes there are differences between different makes but at the end of the day all tyres are made to meet the same safety & quality requirements.

just posting to disagree with this.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
just waiting for the Bridgestone hate to start.

I will probably get Michelin PS4 next time, evo mag like them, but oem potenzas are doing the job fine, falken, contis have been accceptable over the years. A police instructor told me my nerve will give up before the tyre.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
Personally I don't see the point in purchasing premium tyres for anything other than high powered vehicles. Yes there are differences between different makes but at the end of the day all tyres are made to meet the same safety & quality requirements. In 25 years of driving I've had many different makes and the only ones that have been truly awful were a set of remoulds about 20years ago.
I replaced the factory Conti's on my 184 TDI with Avon ZV7's and can honestly say they are quieter, grippier in all conditions and have lasted longer.

Avon's are a quality tyre and if your not pushing the car to the limit they will never let go. You've obviously never experienced the likes of landsail (good name for them) wanli and ling lonng ! They should be banned

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

Do you have any links to these safety & quality requirments you mection?

just posting to disagree with this.

Whilst I agree, at present if you require feel togehter with a progressive tyre some of the low end premium/top end budgets will offer this and more putting some so called top big brands to shame, normally the trade off been they don't last quite as long..

Avon's are a quality tyre and if your not pushing the car to the limit they will never let go. You've obviously never experienced the likes of landsail (good name for them) wanli and ling lonng ! They should be banned

Avon Cooper are a quality tyre, but if you don't push a car then even the Linglongs won't let go, until of course, you need to stop, of which many do not consider when buying tyes as it'll never happen to them..

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
All tyres sold in the UK will have DOT and E number on the sidewall of the tyre. Do a search Google if you are genuinely interested in what this means but in a nutshell it means the tyres have been made to a standard which meets the minimum requirement's for the product to be sold in that market.

shanky77

Sep 26, 2005
Ipswich, Suffolk
When I had the mk1 Cupra R it came with Infinity Ecomax on it and even up to 260bhp stage 1 they were great. Ran a 13.9 1/4 mile on them too.

Current ST 184 FR had Greenlander put on the fronts by the dealer and oh my they were scary and that was even before I fitted the tuning box!

Goodyear assy 3 have been good so far but £35 better per corner than the Infinity's hmmm

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If going mid-range tyres, Avon, Hankook, Fulda. Sometimes even Dunlop tyres are avaliable for mid-range prices...

Most people here woudl say: GY Assymetric 3, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT/2, maybe even Michelin Primacy 3. For higher power cars (eg..Cupra / remapped 184) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

For smaller than 17/18 inch tyres, possibly Dunlop SportBlue Response / Micheline Energy Saver+ or GY Efficient Grip Performance type of tyres.

All season tyre, Michelin Crossclimates seem to get positive vibes from Seat owners (inc Cupra).

Many seem to rant about the Bridgestones (me included) that usually comes stock with the car (Potenzas/Turranzas) as not being very good...(at least for a premium tyre). My Potenza RE050A are decent though. The Turranzas Ecopia Er300, not so much. Probably they are still better than as mentioned by another, Wanli, Ling Long etc...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
All tyres sold in the UK will have DOT and E number on the sidewall of the tyre. Do a search Google if you are genuinely interested in what this means but in a nutshell it means the tyres have been made to a standard which meets the minimum requirement's for the product to be sold in that market.

When it comes to safety and grip - I tend to look for something that meets more than the bare minimum requirement to get a certificate.

silles

May 4, 2017
When it comes to safety and grip - I tend to look for something that meets more than the bare minimum requirement to get a certificate.

agreed, it's legal to drive with just 1.6mm of tread left, but would u ?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Nope, when they get to 3mm I start looking. I budget for premium tyres as I like my head where it is. Currently on GY Assy 3’s , are happy with them in general use ( mine & wife's) and will fit them again. As for cheap brands, well... I'm sure some will be happy with KungPo specials , each to their own.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

Is the DOT code only where they were manufatured and by whom. The E number whilst it's a saftey standard no one seems able to confirm if it applies to grip levels, if it does then the minimum standards are shocking.

Some tests couple of years back showed a premium tyre with 2mm out performed a new budget, that said I do know a tyre with less tread provides more grip in both wet/dry but its abilitity to disperse standing water decreases.

Whats amazing is the number of cars you see parked up on roads and in car parks running almost slicks..

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I don't rag my FR but am happy to fork out for good quality tyres, my priority will be less road noise, are any already mentioned known to be pretty quiet?

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I don't rag my FR but am happy to fork out for good quality tyres, my priority will be less road noise, are any already mentioned known to be pretty quiet?

Take a look on the blackcircles website - each tyre has ratings for noise, fuel economy etc.

Pick one with the lowest db rating.
Point to note - db ratings are logarithmic so a difference of 3db would appear half/double as loud depending if it is higher/lower.

Reactions: CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire

when I first got my Leon it had bridgestones all round, they performed well but were very noisy. I had passengers asking what the noise was lol

now running goodyear F1A3's and Michelin PS4's. When new the difference is night and day. The new tyres almost being silent. Now 10-15K miles in the road noise is increasing again.

I've experienced this on 2 previous VW group cars. The road noise increases as the tyres wear down.

Reactions: CAPS_LOCK_STUCK
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise