Re Airbox and Cupra TDi intakes and CAI kits

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Ok,

Now before i start, i have no proof of this, no airflow figures to back it up, and no scientific explanations, but this is what i have noticed on my 1.8T with regard tot he above.

Ok here goes.

I have now had 2 Dyna twist filters on my car, first off i tried the Small dynatwist on the car as per Bunnin's one. i liked it and yes it did make a nice dump valvey noise and is worthwhile, but performance wise i did not see any real changes, a bit more of a growl, but no real huge benefits.

I also found it worked better when it was used as a non-enclosed filter.

I then decided to sell this on, and change to an XL - Dynatwist filter. this was experimental as i wante to try more Air going into the car. Now for obvious reasons ( size of the unit) it was not possible to run this as a closed air intake system. So i dumped the cover and the ductig hose and ran it open filter.

It worked well, the noise was a lot more, especially from the DV, it did make a very loud satisfying whoosh noise. However it ended up making the car feel beter than the small dynatwist, but there was something different. it seemed to hesitate slightly, almost as if it was getting too much air in. The only way i can describe it is, try sucking o a straw, the air goes in at a higher pressure due to overall suck on small surface area. However now suck on a toilet roll and ther is less pressure as greater surface area and you almost take in to much and choke. Now this is what i feel the car felt like. So it bogged down on take up of drive then pulled hard.

So both were ok, the first being better.

However i have been having a tidy up on the car, and trying to get rid of the no standard look. So i wondered what could be done to the standard air box, as i kept it all. After reading James' posts on smoothed airboxes and a few othe rpeople who have done it, i decided to dsee how i could improve the standard intake system.

So on Saturday i decided to have a play. Got the dremel and got to work on the box. I smoothed completly the top part, this took a while, nearly an hour to get the finish i wanted, as on the tp side there is just all honey combe. I also took off the Trumpet the goes into the MAF connection. again this was restrictive so it came off. The bottom half of the Airbox i left as there was no real area that needed to be smoothed off on it.

i then looked at the cold air feed. now i know everyone changes to the cupra TDi on the diesels. But i though long and hard about this, as the hole into the box end does not increase in size, its just the cold air end that increase, so in effect it is like a funnel. Now in my logic, surely to get more air flow you need to increase the whole pipes diameter, not justone half of it. I mean picture, this , suck on a straw, now suck on it again with a cone at the other end,you don't get any extra air into your mouth do you, no.

So i decided i needed to mod the actually existing air intake, which is rather bad in desig, take it off and you can not see all the way through, there is a sort of flap in the way. So first job was to cut this out and smooth it all off. also this air intake sits directly above the radiator ( nice design) and half the air intake is exposed to the radiator, so you end up sucking air from this as well. So i blocked off the part that takes air from the radiator, i then refitted the new modded intake end and popped in a new paper air filter.

and went for a drive, now first thing i noticed was wow, it picked up so much better, it was instantly on boost with no lag and no noise when changing gear. the whoosh was gone ( thank god i was starting to have had enough of it) and the car picked up smoother and much better. I then took it to southend and the car behaved like never before,

All i put it down to is that the air bx is of good designe and the pressures in the box act as an aid t getting better air flow. The car sounds more refined and the turbo is agfain more noticable. so i was dead chuffed with the results, and now thinking on changing the paper filter for a green panel filter. Might try this at the weekend.

But i think this is a mod all can do, for just some time and effort and it looks no differnet to the original equipment so looks nice and neat. It seems to be worth it, but would have been nice to air flow test all 4 options i had.

so get your dremmel, and also mod that air intake as i think with that modded you will not need a cupra tdi one. dunno let me know.

Also i was going to consider cutting out the grills from the MAF sensor a ssurely this is slightly restrictive.

any thoughts all. i can post pics up next week.

Triple D

Wow, i think that was one of the longest threads ive seen on here Ant :headhurt: , will be interesting to see the results though.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
I wouldn't cut the grills out as the MAF is really delicate and I would think the grills are to protect it .
But what you are discribing is a good advert for "less is more" it might make slightly less power but the drive is better due to the delivery.
But the flap that you cut out is there to create disturbance in the airflow so larger particles of dust don't get in to the filter they sort of drop out of the air flow.
Also I wouldn't put too much into the intake being over the radiator because as soon as the air gets compressed in the turbo the temprature will rocket . the bit after the turbo is more important than the bit before.

Last edited:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
jason leese said:
I wouldn't cut the grills out as the MAF is really delicate and I would think the grills are to protect it .
But what you are discribing is a good advert for "less is more" it might make slightly less power but the drive is better due to the delivery.
But the flap that you cut out is there to create disturbance in the airflow so larger particles of dust don't get in to the filter they sort of drop out of the air flow.
Also I wouldn't put too much into the intake being over the radiator because as soon as the air gets compressed in the turbo the temprature will rocket . the bit after the turbo is more important than the bit before.

I think you may be right, it may not mak so much on the rolers, but by christ it is a nicer drive now, I also took the Strut brace off too, so there i s alot less harshness on it, i may kepe the strut brace to use for track days, but normal everyday use keep it off.

PS this was all my own opinion, but might be worth trying if you are bored one weekend.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have fitted the cupra tdi intake and also removed the flap thing from the intake end and I'm quite impressed with it

turbo seems to spool up a tad quicker and mpg has gone up when on the cruise control :p

gazjones

finished smoothing my intake end that i stared about 2 months ago and the difference a few jagged adges makes is surprising felt slightly more responsive and havent touched the air box.

gazjones

nathwarr said:
I have fitted the cupra tdi intake and also removed the flap thing from the intake end and I'm quite impressed with it

turbo seems to spool up a tad quicker and mpg has gone up when on the cruise control :p
i only thought this fitted to the tdi engines or doescit fit both petrol and tdi if so ill get one should make the most of what cutting and smoothing ive done:p

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
gazjones said:
i only thought this fitted to the tdi engines or doescit fit both petrol and tdi if so ill get one should make the most of what cutting and smoothing ive done:p

yes it does fit the 20vt i have pics but can't work out how to post them at the moment

Last edited:

gazjones

is it alot bigger and do you only need the flexi pipe of the end bit that attaches to the front pannel?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yes it is at least twice the diameter ;)

yes you need the pipe and the adapter as the old adapter is way too small :cry:

still can't post pics will post the question in the forum gripes bit :cry:

try looking at cupra tdi intake mod on another seat *cough* forum

Last edited:

gazjones

ok just spent today adapting the front bit is it only the bit that clips in that you need or the bit that screws in and the bit that clips in. how much for them?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
the only bit that you don't need is the bit that bolts onto the car above the radiator with the two torx screws

then the bit that clips into that is needed and is way bigger and can have the baffle cut out part no 6LL129621 adapter

then the pipe is needed and is way bigger and tapers down to standard size like a funnel part no 6LL129618 hose

when I did mine it cost me £30 inc vat but that was a while ago

hope this helps ;)

gazjones

yea cheers mate on the cupra one there is a lip that sticks out underneath the intake to the hose is that right and you cut this off? mine had this and cut that off today. is yours standard then apart from the intake?

gazjones

but will is be standard for long tho. will order it this week sometime i think if it makes a difference thnax for your help you got any pics posted yet. if you go to photobucket then add an album then paste link in hear that works

gazjones

not going to touch that only up to air box dont like messing with sensor things

gazjones

got my pd160 intake from cupra tdi and fitted it and took trumpet out of the air box results are a better response i think and boosts a little bit earlier imo. its a bit of a tight fit and tricky to get it all assembled in such a small space but loos good all in need now it the green filter

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise