Passed MOT but tyre advisory!

NottsLCR

May 14, 2008
Nottingham
Hi,

My LCR passed MOT today so very happy but on the advisory it was not that my front tyres were close to legal limit. I have only had them 7 months and covered around 5000 miles is this normal expectancy for tyres?

I currently have Falken FK452's fitted.

Thanks

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
lots of power plus front wheel drive = lots of new tyres. i got some goodyear eagle f1's isymetric (cant spell) these have lasted 7k so far an still have plenty of tread on them. different tyres give different mileage, but grippy tyres you get less miles. a friend of mine had some falkens on his an they didnt last long but think was down to way he drives.

NottsLCR

May 14, 2008
Nottingham
I got them as they were mid range and priced well but now im thinking it was a false economy and maybe it will be worth paying more when i replace them?

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
The NT (nominated tester) may have advised them for two reasons.

1. They are 3-4mm and below or
2. He does not understand the stepped tread on the Falkens.

I have these on the rear (will be on the front next tyre change) and know that they have stepped tread. Basicly means that there are parts of the tread that are designed to wear out quicker but are still legal (legal being 1.6mm).

I would not worry about it. Just a quick one did he put the depth down on the VT32?

andycupra

status subject to change
depends how you drive. - i get the impression you have 'used' the tyres well ;)

EDIT:

just read your post to say its due to them being worn on the inside edge. - in which can tracking, worn bushes, presssures etc are potential faults. It sound like uneven wear in the innner edges which is unlikely to be a tyre issue.

ginger prince

anything fwd will be fairly heavy on front tyres, my work van went through its first pair of tyres in 8K but that might have alot to do with my driving!!

GavinT

I have Bridgestones on the Leon with the arrow pattern tread and they went on over 2 years ago and have done over 10k and they still have 2 -3 mm before the legal marker.
They were about £75 a corner I think. It is my wifes car though and she doesnt push them. I had Goodyear F1 on my company Signum and they lasted 20k ish on the front and more on the rear. Again that was with careful driving.

bodgitfixitrun

Get the tracking done. It's more than likely that. Have you notice the car pulling at all? If they are scrubbing then fuel consumption will increase as well.

JamJay

California Bound
Notts, I have the same issue. Falkens are very soft and if they are wearing on the inner edge, you'll need the tracking done. Expect to pay £60 for laser alignment but it'll sort it for you and you'll get a good few more miles out of the tyres.

Sep 4, 2024
in reply to your tyres which you believe should be advised upon.
the law regarding advisories is simple, they are not mandatory and the mot inspector does not haver to tell you.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise