More BHP?!?!

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
I'm pretty sure the stock air box with a good panel filter will flow enough for 300+ bhp?

I would spend money on exhaust and TIP. Even if you wanted more power than thus would yield your looking at getting forged rods to be safe

I know a lot of people with standard air box/panel filters and say there sound...as I already have a k&n cone filter I thought I'd just buy a whole new induction kit either piper cross or green filters....now I've been enlightened on the TIP I'm looking into that more. I was just going to buy a blue silicone one from eBay presuming they all were the same :S

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
I'm pretty sure the stock air box with a good panel filter will flow enough for 300+ bhp?

I would spend money on exhaust and TIP. Even if you wanted more power than thus would yield your looking at getting forged rods to be safe

Yeps, member on Dutch forum drove around with stock airbox (no snorkle, opened the side up a bit) and OEM paper filter with 380BHP (Cupra R), so 80mm MAF.

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
A huge turbo on a 1.8T could easily pull enough air for 400hp plus throuh the OE airox, doesn't mean it isnt restrictive.

A K03S which is on its backside pulling enough air through the box at 240hp may find another 5-10 with a less restrictive intake. it's been proven by a number of tuners.

What ISN'T beneficial is an open cone in the engine bay sucking in hot air, hence why a well thought out intake is needed, shielded from engine bay heat, yet non restrictive with a good feed of cool air

Last edited:

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
me

I make the 80mm TIPs...

www.badger5.biz

Left My v3 80mm TIP, middle LCR type tip. right early TT/S3 non esp TIP - All k04 fitment cars
nonesp-esp-v3-TIP.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a thread on here where you did a blue silicone/alloy tip. Looked real nice... I'll look at your shop tonight :)

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
A huge turbo on a 1.8T could easily pull enough air for 400hp plus throuh the OE airox, doesn't mean it isnt restrictive.

A K03S which is on its backside pulling enough air through the box at 240hp may find another 5-10 with a less restrictive intake. it's been proven by a number of tuners.

What ISN'T beneficial is an open cone in the engine bay sucking in hot air, hence why a well thought out intake is needed, shielded from engine bay heat, yet non restrictive with a good feed of cool air

I'll be sticking to an open cone after deciding what brand to go for.. but will definitely be getting a heat shield too. There pretty expensive from what I've seen though :0

Mikey_Bling

Apr 25, 2013
Notts
I'll be sticking to an open cone after deciding what brand to go for.. but will definitely be getting a heat shield too. There pretty expensive from what I've seen though :0

Make your own. 1.2mm aluminium and some tin snips using the template on this forum. Easy cheesy.

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
Also whilst I'm thinking about it...have any of you tried green filters (cone) ..and if so..any good? ???
It's that or a piper cross :|

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
You've definitely had a graph from a generous dyno. No way would you make that bhp figure from a map only, if anything I'd say you're running between 240-250bhp with a slight increase in torque. For example I was running stage 1 with stage 2 modifications (bar FMIC) & only made 255bhp & 240lbft

Get a 3" DP & sports cat to increase torque (decat will gain more noise than anything) + a cat back (milltek resonated is similar to stock)
An 80mm TI P will again benefit (get Bill/badger 5s version)
A FMIC will be needed if you do go Stage 2
Go stage 2 (again with Bill/badger 5)

Do those mods & enjoy further :)

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
You've definitely had a graph from a generous dyno. No way would you make that bhp figure from a map only, if anything I'd say you're running between 240-250bhp with a slight increase in torque. For example I was running stage 1 with stage 2 modifications (bar FMIC) & only made 255bhp & 240lbft

Get a 3" DP & sports cat to increase torque (decat will gain more noise than anything) + a cat back (milltek resonated is similar to stock)
An 80mm TI P will again benefit (get Bill/badger 5s version)
A FMIC will be needed if you do go Stage 2
Go stage 2 (again with Bill/badger 5)

Do those mods & enjoy further :)

Im going to be putting it through another dyno eventually, It pulls like crazy, but again because i have never had anything to compare it too its the fastest thing i have ever driven.

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
Im going to be putting it through another dyno eventually, It pulls like crazy, but again because i have never had anything to compare it too its the fastest thing i have ever driven.

You're not to far from Badger 5 dude. Pop to him for accurate dyno results & a wealth of knowledge :)

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
Yeah after looking on his site ( And this one )

Alot of people are rating the JR cone filters.... so im leaning in that direction now... Just awaiting a quote from him... along with a heat shield.

The 80mm TIP he does, That actually makes a difference to the car ?
before all of this i thought changing the TIP along with pipes was just a fashion accessory :S

LouisAUQ

Jul 27, 2014
Impressive figures that, bet it's rapid.

Sorry to steal your thread a bit but if I was to get a badger TIP for my cupra could I run the stand air box on it?

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
Impressive figures that, bet it's rapid.

Sorry to steal your thread a bit but if I was to get a badger TIP for my cupra could I run the stand air box on it?

I believe you can but check with Bill 1st by emailing him or sending a pm on here :)