missfire still ! worse when hot and full boost

LCRglen

Aug 9, 2009
colchester essex
right i only have the free version so i cant log certain things , however i have logged block 001 and lambda at idle is switching between +3.1% and - 4 ish

LCRglen

Aug 9, 2009
colchester essex
logged 15 and 16 missfire count is constantly rising on cylinder 4 before it resets itself it gets upto 8 while cylinder 1 gets upto 2 / 3 sometimes cylinder 3 logs a couple but never cylinder 2 . oh dear

LCRglen

Aug 9, 2009
colchester essex
not massively , i dont think i have many parts left for renewing now lol . only a pre cat lambda left really . it could be wiring . but i did do some logs previous and the greater amount of missfires was on cylinder 3 not 4 like i have just done . so could the wiring be cracked to all coil packs ? also still no fault codes the car has never logged any fault codes . only if i have unplugged something when it was running . the problem has been there for months now you would of thought if it was a sensor it would of been logged by the ecu at some stage

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Yeh i had to rewire mine it was shocking, quite a bit or corrosion insdie the wires too.

Coil%20Pack%20Wiring%20Harness%20Replacement.jpg

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Not really mate, need either to repair wire by wire or get a reapir loom where you cut the coil loom and then crimp a new plug on and plug the new loom in. Strip some of the tape/sheath off and see what its like.

LCRglen

Aug 9, 2009
colchester essex
right stripped all the insulation tape of my coil pack wiring to inspect and .god damn not a pretty sight cracked insulation everywhere .much like the photo above. when you repaired it wire for wire what type of wire did you use as obviously i cant just use anything and there is one wire which is really bad that is a larger diameter brown one the insulation on this has virtually falling off . that ecs tuning is in america though :(

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Yes a repair loom is avialable, i used slightly thicker wire and also bridged an earth from under the battery to the rocker cover.

Only real way of repair is if some good wires are left and also if your eelctrical ability is decent, repair loom is a cut, crimp pins on and push them into a plug then plug the repair loom in, euro car parts do them for about 7 quid per coil. then you just make the loom up, also when you cut it dont do all the cuts in same place, stagger them if your repairing, if your using a repair loom then cut them all the same length obviously. If you was closer id of done it for you.

if you want tmorrow il take pics of my repair.

Way i found it is kept swapping the coils round and the fire pattern wasnt consistant, kinda 1.2 miss a few some cylinders would be fine for a bit.

As far as i know the vw offical loom you have to do alot of wiring and replace 2 or 3 to the ecu, so that means scuttle off all the cables in the trunking taking out etc. The ECS loom is good quality and cheap so id order it and wait.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members