Matching amp with components

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Well after fitting my headunit, I'm currently in the process of soundproofing my car and thought I might as well upgrade the front speakers while I've got the door cards off..

I've decided on..

Alpine SPG-17CS components but is it worth amping these with a two channel amp?

The speakers are 70w RMS and the following amps kick out 80w and 110w respectively

Alpine MRV-T320
Alpine MRV-T420

If its worth amping them, is the 80w amp better to go for than the 110w amp?

Ta for any advice!
Andy

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
depends if you were to upgrade in the future further,if so get the 2nd amp,if not stick with the 1st one,although i doubt you would go further as the difference will be massive compared to running off stock amp
go with 4awg wiring as your bordering on needing it,better to have thicker cable thats only using 60% rather than thinner using 95-100% of potential

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Might just get the second as the price difference between the two is marginal. Thanks for the tip on the wiring!

Will those components do the job?

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
personally i would go for the hertz dieci range over them unless you are purchasing a sub.
hertz will give a very broad spectrum of frequencies covering the majority of "normal" listening.

all my personal opinion though

but any upgrade is worthless without soundproofing-dynamatting the doors will make a mahoosive difference-pain staking but you will be please with the 2 hours you spend on each door just doing this

my doors are dynamatted-foamed padding under the speaker adapters all the way round the parts in contact with the door card to stop vibration,foam padding between contact points of speakers to speaker adapters and then foam padding to door card points of attachment with the clips to again reduce vibration

matt

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
I'll have a look into those ta..

I've already started on the dynamatting, have done the rear doors, but was planning on getting speakers sorted so I could fit them and sound proof the front doors while the door cards were off.
Does seem to have made a fair bit of difference in the back doors already! :)

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Hmm, now you've got me looking at other speakers! Been reading some reviews of those Hertz speakers and everyone seems to recommend them.

Hertz DSK165

Slightly cheaper than the Alpine speakers too and will pair them up to the Alpine MRV-T420 amp.

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Slight change of plan now.. I ordered the Hertz speakers today, but have decided on getting a four channel amp so I can run the two components off of it and also bridge the other two channels to drive a sub. Have found a nice Hertz amp and sub but will have to get those in a few weeks and just run the components off of my headunit until then..

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Got them in.. Not amped yet though! Was an absolute ballache and swearing getting the window regulators back in. Even had enough dynamat left over to do the boot! :)

Photo529.jpg

Photo530.jpg

Photo531.jpg

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
Could I ask, how have you got on with your Hertz speakers Street? I'm about to order some and can't decide between the Deici DSK 165 or the pricier 'Energy' ESK 165L. Cheers :)

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
They're great.. Can't really compare them to the more expensive ones as I've never heard them, but for me they are spot on with my headunit! Even managed to convince the guy I work with to get a pair after he heard them. :)

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
Thanks Street, Excellent! Hertz it is...I just can't make my mind up between the 90 quidders or the 150 nicker jobs!!! :) Decisions Decisions :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.