Low speed rumble?

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Hi All

Just a quickie!

I have a rumble from the front end at low speeds. It sounds like a worn wheel bearing sound, but as the car is only 5 months old (16000 miles) I doubt it's that.

Is anyone else getting this sound? It's going into the dealer on Saturday for a few other bits, so would like to go armed with some more possibilities to the rumble as my dealer is a little, er..... how shall I say?...... Slow at dignosing problems ;)

TIA

Ali

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Yes I have Bridgestones. Do you think it's them then?

These are the first Bridgestoes I've ever had on a car. It makes sense though, because the sound is only "like" a worn bearing but not quite right if you know what I mean.

Any other tyre sugestions then? As they will need replacing soon anyway.
225/45/R17 iirc.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
Which did a review a few months ago on tyres, looking at roadholding, noise etc. I'll try and find out what they recommended. The Bridgestones on my TFSI make an awful noise on some road surfaces, particularly concrete motorways, something even my wife noticed and she's normally oblivious to anything car-related !

If you do some research on here and BriSkoda, you'll find everyone seems to criticise Bridgestones for noise, pity 'cos they handle quite well.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
Here you go, I'll probably get told off for quoting directly from Which, but what the heck, I pay my subscription !!

225/45 R17
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 offers excellent grip on dry roads and is fairly good in the wet. It’s quite expensive, at around £129 to £147, but it lasts well so still represents good value per mile. It’s widely available and Michelin looks to be on track for meeting the new PAH environmental standard with it.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A gives balanced overall performance and offers wet grip that’s among the best in its class. It’s a quiet ride, but Bridgestone still has work to do to make its tyres greener. It’s widely available – you should expect to pay between £114 and £136.

The Continental SportContact3 is excellent in dry conditions and good on wet roads, too. It has a good eco score and it should be reasonably easy to find, costing between £114 and £141.

The BFGoodrich G-Force Profiler is very good on a dry road, but its wet grip is slightly weaker – it’s more likely than other Best Buys to aquaplane. It is a little noisier than other Best Buys, and may be harder to find, but is a good choice for eco-friendly drivers. Typical costs range from £102 to £134.

The Pirelli Pzero Nero also grips well on both wet and dry roads and is almost the quietest in its class. Pirelli has lots to do to meet future eco targets. Its widely available for between £111 and £140.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Thanks for that Carl.

I'll do a bit more digging on recomended tyres.

I had Dunlop Sports on my previous Focus and was very happy with them. Might have a look at them again when it's time to change.

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
AR-CoolC said:
Thanks for that Carl.

I'll do a bit more digging on recomended tyres.

I had Dunlop Sports on my previous Focus and was very happy with them. Might have a look at them again when it's time to change.

Hi my car (2.0tdi sport) has the same sort of mileage as yours I had my front tyres changed about 4000miles ago. They were bridgestone potenzas and since then the noise has gone (replaced with dunlop sportmaxx). The noise has now moved to the back so I will need to be doing some handbrake turns so I can get the lease company to change them for dunlops:D

Had the car in getting its steering rack done and asked then to check the wheel bearings as it sounded really loud and they said they were fine probably just tyre noise.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Thanks for that!

I have been rotating the tyres so that all four wear out together ;)

Donlop Sportmaxx ? I'll look them up.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise