Loss of BHP

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Hey their folks,

I have a 2000 1.6S Leon. Its been chipped and a BMC CDA fitted so was expecting the jump from 105bhp standard to anything between 115-120 bhp. So i went up to the rolling road on saturday and to my surprise it was recorded at 98 bhp. This could not be right to be this low? Before I had the chip installed I had it on the rollers to record the standard bhp and it was spot on at 104.7bhp. The guys reckon its the air feed for the BMC CDA letting to much air out? So im going back up on saturday to get a custom feed installed. Any other ideas on what it could be so I could put it across them when I go back up ?

When i do push the car on, and drive it hard it does feel a lot quicker than it was standard. Any ideas?

Thanks

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Did you not get it on the rollers straight after the chip was installed?
How did it fell when you first drove it home after getting it chipped?

When i was up at OBD i put mine on the rollers before and after just to see the immediate difference, need to go back and see what it is now though.

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Yeh it was on the same rollers.

Snoopcousins-

Yeh I had it on the rollers after the chip and it had dropped to 95bhp, but ryan at OBD said you need to give it a few 100 miles for it to kick in. On the way home it did feel like standard but when i reached Lurgan it had kicked in and was a hell of a lot quicker and liftier in all gears. Going back up on saturday to OBD to hopefully get it sorted. Btw it was chipped about 2 months ago.

Last edited:

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
I have never had a car 'chipped' but getting lower figures straight after doesnt make sense to me! I know it gets quicker after a few miles but surely there should be an immediate Gain of some sort.

I had mine remapped there. It showed 166 bhp standard and immediately after got a figure of 190 bhp and i felt it get quicker over the following days. I would say it should be around 195 bhp now.

Hopefully when you go back up you will get a better figure...

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Rite I have now learnt that the fella that chipped it put 16V software onto the ECU chip. My car is an 8V isnt it ? 1.6S ? Would this be causing the drop in bhp from standard ? Is it doing the car any harm, surely the timing etc wuld be wrong ?

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Thats wot I was thinkin, cos its awful hard on juice when pushing it on. At first I thought it was the MAF but it wasnt. Just wana make sure the a 1.6S (year 2000) is defo a 8V before i send them an email here ? its says 1.6SR on the engine cover.

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Nope no engine code handy, ill take a look tomorrow when theres a bit of light. Only number Ive handy is the chasis number ? I took a look in the Seat Manual with the car and it dosnt mention anything.

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Aye ive that handy, was hoping someone would mention that, didnt know which one was the engine code on that booklet. Code is AKL. Take it u meant one with green circle round it ?

D_McA

Sep 6, 2006
Lurgan, N.Ireland
Rite got it sorted. Although they didnt put it back to standard, they put the right program in for the 8v. What a difference it made, car is a lot quicker and the power delivery is a lot smoother. Their rollers were playing up so didnt run it on the rolling road after the chip was installed, so going back up in the new year to get the induction kit air intake sorted and then put back on the rollers. Should also have my coilovers fitted by then aswell.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members