Location of thermostat on ABF?

arge

Starting to mod...
May 22, 2008
Hook, Hampshire
Can i have a detailed description of where the thermostat is, im half way through a coolant change with a friend and was hoping to replace it, cant seem to find it anywhere.
:redface:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think it's down at the front left of the engine block... should be easy to spot - look for the casing that looks like the replacement thermo stat will fit into.

2nd guess would b above the gearbox, but I don't think it is there.

just follow the 'big' coolant pipes & you'll get there

arge

Starting to mod...
May 22, 2008
Hook, Hampshire
Thanks for your help managed to find it behind the power steering pump.

I know have a new problem. Renewing the coolant but it wont take to the heater hose and cant seem to fully fill the system.

Is there a bleed or technique to ensure proper filling?

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
This sounds silly but anyway.

On golfs and ibizas usually you have the coolant pipe going in at the front of the engine, if your car is flat or sloped down hill you can have an issue with the coolant only filling the radiator and pump side, and not getting to the engine.

I had this problem and the car would start and then stop. I solved it by jacking it up. which meant the coolant could flow in to the engine side, and the air would more or less to where the pipe to the expansion reservior goes.

arge

Starting to mod...
May 22, 2008
Hook, Hampshire
Thanks everyone for you help, all ok in the end.

Sent my mate on his way so as long as i dont get a phone call from him in the next half hour i will assume all is well !

CIarkie

Jun 12, 2005
Basingstoke
Ha Ha. No such phone call yet. Although its the first time i have seen 96 degrees on my oil temp :shrug: Many thanks arge for all your hard work while i supervised and of course to the knowledgable SCN crew for speedy responses :clap:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.