Leon Cupra R or Honda Civic Type R

Aug 21, 2008
Skipton, N Yorkshire
Same reason i went for the LCR, alot better looking, and as only a couple in my area (in the sticks of North Yorkshire) turns alot more heads that the CTR. Little brother has CTR and the thrashing of the it to go fast really wears on me. about to get mine remapped and the look on his face when i showed him the figures it would produce was quality, for the same increases on the CTR your looking at 2-3k, when only £250-£350 for the LCR.

Just depends what you after really, but the scream of the 9000rpm is quality at first but would really do my nut in after a few weeks. Also as Faisal says there's loads of CTRs and the LCR really stands out from the crowd.

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
:wave:

Another one here who was stuck between LCR & CTR. My last car was a Civic VTi and I loved it to bits, so reliable, sounded amazing with VTEC and the chassis was second to a go-kart with coilovers. However, I sold it because it just wasn't me anymore and I wanted to break free from the 'chav' image that the Civics were getting. I knew that which ever car I got next, I would want to modify but you can't really modify a Civic subtly, it's always going to get bery very loud! Enter LCR, affordable, subtle tuning that produces real results.

I love the way the LCR looks, so aggessive and fat looking, quite intimidating when one is behind you. I had never driven a turbo car before this and I found that I preferred the way it drove to the way I needed to work the Civic...I was sold. Build quality was 100% better, feels more refined, grown up and it commands alot more respect on the road.

I needed to keep young somehow though so I bought a yellow one :D

Obviously I am not comparing directly to the CTR but with VTEC engines in general and the CTR's I have sat in but I do like the bucket seats in them. If I was going to go back to VTEC, i'd be putting my money on a DC5 Integra 220bhp.

I also drove a Nissan 350z and I found that even with near 300bhp, it was not nearly as fun to drive as any turbo petrol i've had the pleasure of driving within 50bhp of the 350z. I think it's the torque I am addicted to and NA just doesn't thrill me anymore.

Mar 5, 2007
LCR by far. Heavier car or not. With a remap, a Type R will be no match for a LCR, even if he catches you "on the boil"

Oh, and no matter how good the civic may or may not be. There's no getting past the fact it's pretty damn ugly. Like a big wedge of cheese. The Leon isn't the prettiest car in the world either. But in Cupra+ form, it's good looking and has presence, especially when rolling on 18" wheels.

BEEFYGTI

Nov 20, 2004
Port talbot, south wales
I have had both the EP3 and the new FN2 Shape civic type r - The Ep3 was ok , I only got rid of my new shape cause I had to buy a people carrier( had a baby) and so I then had cash left to buy my 03 LCR - The hondas are nice but I prefer the Leon - Missed a turbo when I had V-Tec !

JamJay

California Bound
The 2004 CTR onwards had a facelift, that included indicators in the mirrors, smoothed wings and a new one piece front bumper that looked alot better. Still, not a great looking machine and is nicknamed amongst the Honda community as 'The Bread Van'.

andytaylor1980

Jul 30, 2009
North East (Middlesbrough)
I am currently looking at both.

02 to 04 plate - seem to be similar prices (Parkers guide tends to be higher for the Hondas).

Any comments regarding the pros and cons for both - preferably from readers who have owned both.

Cheers,

Janners.

Before i bought my LCR i owned a 07 plate civic type R for 2 years from new and i found the build to be cheap and nasty but at the time i was looking for one they were rare as rocking horse **** so i didnt really drive one or really even sit in one untill i ordered it :wtf:

But the vtec engine was not really for me, i mean to get anything out of it you really have to give it some beans and the engine does pick up but nothing like a turbo and besides you will be limited to what mods can be carried out on a civic.

To be honest i bought my LCR because i needed 5 doors due to a new baby and needed to save money but i have never ever regreted it !!
I have made all the best mods such as new DV, Forge TIP, Jetex filter, CC remap, scorpion decat etc etc and it drives like a animal compared to a type R. In fact i have had a bit of a run against a type R and he ended up just getting out of my way:clap::clap::clap:

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
V-tech.jpg

Chrissy20vt

Nov 2, 2009
Heres a bit from myself,

Just sold my 2004 CTR after 8 months of ownership,.

Now own a 2005 LCR 225 (remapped)

They are utterly different cars,

Practicilaty - Ok, So Leon has 5 doors, But the CTR is WAY bigger in the back even if its a 3 door,

MPG - CTR Mine was tuned to 230bhp and really was quick, Alas it would never see over 20mpg, In std form maybe I could manage 26.. really bad for a 2litre NA car..

Build Quality - CTR was tinny, harsh, a true race experience and to be honest a weekend 2nd car only,
My wishbones, needed attention after 5k miles, seats wear very poorly (bolsters)

Reliability - CTR Mine was a 2 owner car with 75k, They all suffer with weak 2nd gear syncs, this will always need to be addressed - signs are when cold its almost impossible to engage 2nd gear, but fine when warm... result is, a calling of a gearbox rebuild @ £1k

CTR vs LCR Looks - Both stunning, both desirable

Performance LCR vs CTR - std the CTR's quicker, I had 4 branch back stainless on mine with supporting mods and my CTR was quicker than a remapped LCR, just.. The CTR is a very quick tool on the brink of Vtec, I knew how to drive it, and it was rapid,.. My LCR is now remapped and with a decat etc is quicker, But will NEVER make you smile like the CTR could on VTEC!!! sex, truely..

CTR Forum, Is the worst I have ever been on, They are ALL sarcastic beyond, rude and shoot you down at every chance, made some real enemies in a short space, Never go on there, To55ers...

Costs - The CTR seemed to cost me a hell of alot to run compared to the LCR, Fuel, pads, discs, and tyres were changed in only 8k miles, My driving possibly....

In all the CTR is very hard to use daily, fun, but at your peril, Police hate them, and chavs owning them are on the up (2002's @ £3.5k!) = See forum!

LCR Summary -

More tunable for less money
MOre doors - if not smaller in back
WAY cheaper on fuel
WAY cheaper on insurance
More solid build
No major issues to contend with compared to a similar mile CTR
No dentistry needed for the LCR abilty to contend with speed bumps, or any bumps..
The big one.......... Peace and quiet in the cabin,

CTR has a higher book price & will be worth more in the future, Bare that in mind BTW..

Chrissy

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
What I think is interesting is that when someone asked about a Golf 4motion vs Cupra, there was a lot of impartial advice and some recommending the Golf, some recommending the Cupra. So I'd say we're a fairly realistic bunch and only slightly unbiased, so when people are slamming the CTR, it tells me something...

Chrissy20vt

Nov 2, 2009
They are great cars, and WILL be worth a £££ in years to come, standard examples anyway, They are a weekend car,.. or track car...

Chrissy

JamJay

California Bound
Personally if I was going all out on a Civic, I'd be looking at an early (1996) VTi and replacing the engine with a JDM B18 from an Integra Type R seeing as it's just plug & play/drop & bolt in. That would put up a hell of a fight for a remapped LCR, maybe even beat it TBH.

Mar 5, 2007
What I think is interesting is that when someone asked about a Golf 4motion vs Cupra, there was a lot of impartial advice and some recommending the Golf, some recommending the Cupra. So I'd say we're a fairly realistic bunch and only slightly unbiased, so when people are slamming the CTR, it tells me something...

I don't think anyone is slamming the Civic though. Horses for courses. But the easy route to 260bhp can't be ignored. The golf vs cupra argument was different as they're virtually the same car. So it all depended on if you wanted to tune it, and if you prefer the look of a golf over the leon.

Mar 5, 2007
Maybe. I see this biased crap so much though with each forum I read, that I try to remain impartial.

When I was younger I was blinded by bias that my car was the **** (it was a hyundai :D).

I think the less prestigious the badge, the more the owners try and compensate with praise. To try and show the world that their car is good and worth considering. Heck, you get it with the Seat a lot as well.

Then when they get to a expensive brand (i.e. Porsche), those owners discount others cars because they are for peasants, or what have you.

BEEFYGTI

Nov 20, 2004
Port talbot, south wales
Yeah I only had one baby Antee but I got a 5yrs old too, bought a people carrier for the wife, traded in my 07 Type R and had £8000 cash left over. Bought my LCR and never looked back - the type r was nice to drive but as stated before you need to rag the tits off it to make it move. Hard work all the time. You need to be in the correct rev range to keep up with things. To be honest I missed the turbo. Love my LCR !

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The EP3 CTR is a good car no doubt, the few times I drove one was very impressed and the VTEC kick is addictive. It held the road very well and was great fun to drive. The achillis heel of the EP3 was its ability for the back end to suddenly snap out in cold or damp conditions. If you did not check your oil regualy enough and the oil ran out its bye bye engine. It is a true classic hot hatch and will always be classic hot hatch it is relaible the odd trim issue but it is a car that has a hard life like most hot hatches.

I had some fun in my more spirited driving days a few years ago against a CTR in my chipped 120d (205Bhp) watching it through the twisties on a 60mph road was awsome very flat and planted my 1er did very well to keep up.

The LCR has the extra doors which is nice but it does not change direction as quick as the CTR but the power is more accesible and is a more safe and predictable car on the limit and more comfy on distance runs. Both the LCR have +/- and its all down to the driving experience you require. The CTR is more raw and race car like, LCR is easier to drive fast looks are personl thing so more subjective I always loved the look of th Cupra and LCR over the CTR. Two great cars that give many smiles per miles!! I loved my MK1 Cupra and at the time would not of had the CTR over it even though there was a performace difference. But then I am a Seat lover on a Seat forum so will be a little biased!!

Last edited:

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
Personally if I was going all out on a Civic, I'd be looking at an early (1996) VTi and replacing the engine with a JDM B18 from an Integra Type R seeing as it's just plug & play/drop & bolt in. That would put up a hell of a fight for a remapped LCR, maybe even beat it TBH.

exacly what my mate has done.got an early civic vti,and dropped an accord type r engine in there.hes got every handling mod done known to man,and has spent too much money on it...and i still pump him so bad its not even funny... (got some fun vids of the showdown)

That said,i do struggle when hes at higher revs in a higher gear,as hes got a strong NA engine whereas my boost tails off.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members