Leon Cupra R or Honda Civic Type R

janners

I am currently looking at both.

02 to 04 plate - seem to be similar prices (Parkers guide tends to be higher for the Hondas).

Any comments regarding the pros and cons for both - preferably from readers who have owned both.

Cheers,

Janners.

jamiebennett81

I am currently looking at both.

02 to 04 plate - seem to be similar prices (Parkers guide tends to be higher for the Hondas).

Any comments regarding the pros and cons for both - preferably from readers who have owned both.

Cheers,

Janners.

we might be a bit biased on here;)

both cars are completely different which suit totally different styles of driving

go and drive them both is the best thing

janners

Cheers Jamie but just trying to gather as much info as possible.

p.s. cracking car

jamiebennett81

Cheers Jamie but just trying to gather as much info as possible.

p.s. cracking car

lol, thanks mate

I have actually driven an 03 plate Type R, when my GF wanted one (although in the end could not afford it) and of course I have my cupra

the type R, out of the box was a very good car indeed, great handling, sharp, and actually despite the low amount of torque drove very well and accelerated nicely round town. People think if your out of the VTEC its really slow, but this is complete BS, and there is plenty of low down torque to cruise around in

however when the VTEC kicks in, it is very intoxicating, and point to point, the type R is a very good car. It also does NOT crash and bang about and the ride is also very good. I certianly had no issues and was not uncomfortable driving around the pot holed roads:)

not only this but it is very reliable, and if I had to buy a fast reliable car, low maintenance with service intervals etc, and out of the box (with no modifying it) then I would choose the CTR straight away (which may surprise a few on here)

however, to compare it to the Leon Cupra or LCR, they are very different. the LCR feels more solid, durable on the roads and has instant power, as with the Civic you have to work it a little more to achieve the same sense of drama

The LCR feels fatter and not as poised or as sharp as the CTR when cornering, but then despite the CTR handles the road well, the LCR absorbs the general ride a lot better, so does make for long distance driving much better

thing is though, I could spout on about the pros and cons. Both cars are so different, that what it actually comes down to, is not which car is better but what your driving style is about

do you like the sound of the VTEC and having to scream everywhere to go fast, with a nicely poised chassis?

or do you like the easy, effortless, if not lazy drive of the turbo, with a more slightly fatter chassis, but perhaps better as an all round drive?

however, consider this.......if you ever get bored with the LCR, a remap takes it to 260bhp and with plenty of torque, which what ever way you look at it, simply adds another level of entertainment which the VTEC simply and never will match

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alex Williams

turbo009

Red Lightning
Jun 15, 2008
Grimsby North East Lincs
Agree both drive different,just need to go out and test each one. I personally know which one i would have and thats the leon cupra r.

I used too own a dc2 itr that be more fun then a ctr if you do decide to go go VTEC

jamiebennett81

Agree both drive different,just need to go out and test each one. I personally know which one i would have and thats the leon cupra r.

I used too own a dc2 itr that be more fun then a ctr if you do decide to go go VTEC

yes if I had to choose one of the VTEC's, then it would be a white integra all day everyday

look up Chris Curzons on here. He used to have an Ibiza Cupra, and now owns a mint white Integra, which I absolutely love:D

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
CTR sport oriented 3 door hatch, Brilliant to drive, (more track work personally, )

LCR sports 5 door hatch , brilliant to drive, (perfect for road driving)

like comparing chalk and cheese, both fantastic cars, but so different,

The CTR will stick out like a sore thumb though, Everyone knows what they are and will try at most times to push you on roads,

the LCR is more of a sleeper In my opinion, less obvious, but bring smiles when you surprise other drivers,

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Ive drove a few of both cars many LCR's and a fair few CTR being in the motor trade. and i like the leon better for my style of driving, nothing beats the pull of a turbo, you have to keep the Vtec on song most of the time,
Most my mates drive LCR's got 2 mates with CTR's 1 a JDM jap import.

the civic is great car like jamiebennett81 said in his post alot of very good points.
the looks never did it for me and always loved the leons. thats why ive got 1. if anything i would get a teg if i changed.

I let my mate who got a 04 plate ctr have a go in mine. and he said hes got to get a turbo car now said made his feel slow when he drove his home.

Test drive both cars if you car.

janners

Funny you should mention the Volvo. I was looking at a Volvo S40 with the T5 engine at a local car sales the previous weekend. I was quite surprised at the S40, apart front the grill at the front, to me it didn't look like what I associate as your standard Volvo i.e. large.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I was considering both the CTR and the LCR. I've always preferred the LCR so I bought that one. All I had to do to know I made the right choice was to park alongside a guy at work with a CTR. If looks come in to it at all for you, the CTR looks weak against the LCR, and that holds great weight for me :D I know I made the right choice!

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
I was considering both the CTR and the LCR. I've always preferred the LCR so I bought that one. All I had to do to know I made the right choice was to park alongside a guy at work with a CTR. If looks come in to it at all for you, the CTR looks weak against the LCR, and that holds great weight for me :D I know I made the right choice!

pretty much the same as much me, i test drove a civic type r and wasnt impressed and dont think its that good looking for a three door hot hatch and unlike the cupra r there loads of them on the roads. it down to you mate if you want a reliable car buy the civic if you want a good all rounder buy the cupra r. i bought my cupra in april and each modification makes me like it even more :D

turbin

I would take the LCR over the CTR for two main rasons. Not sure about the space age looks of CTR and the 1.8T 225 engine has a MUCH greater tuning potential.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
my choice was between the integra type R DC5 and the mk1 Cupra R,

at the end of the day i picked the Cupra R because of the fact that it has amazing low down power,5 doors to shove your mates in and out quickly, and amazing tunability. £400 transforms your car into a beast with just a remap. i know lots of type R owners who envy me because of that lol.

most people say the cupra R has more of a road presence than the type R i.e. it looks meaner, and something not to mess with.

iv driven my share of vtecs (accord type r,integra type r,civic type r,ek9 civic,etc etc) and although they ARE fast, it doesnt feel the same when you put the foot down from 30mph-ish.

and the final nail in the coffin was that every tom **** and harry has/wants the CTR which makes you look like another shade of gray, the LCR will turn heads much more in my opinon...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.