Leon Cupra 235 bhp ??????

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I was under the impression that when you get a custom remap you can specify bhp/torque whatever....depending on what you've done under the bonet etc...already. I could be talking complete crap though! [B)]

Not quite. You don't pay for a custom map and say 'I want 300bhp and 300lbs/ft torque please'. You leave it entirely to the tuner doing the mapping and they will sit and go through each parameter to work out how far they can safely push things.

With a standard 'one-size-fits-all' map the same procedure is done on a standard dummy car and that is then passed on to all other cars regardless of the state of tune.

With a custom one they will probably start off with a standard map and then start tinkering to see if anything further can be adjusted. For instance, if you have an exhaust, CAI and FMIC the tuner may be able to up fuelling and boost knowing that the car is breathing easier and charge temps' are being kept down more than a standard car.

A custom map doesn't guarantee more power and torque, it just means it's individual to your car, that's all.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I was under the impression that when you get a custom remap you can specify bhp/torque whatever....depending on what you've done under the bonet etc...already. I could be talking complete crap though! [B)]

Fair enough, we all have our own opinion and mine is no better or worse than yours.........for the record I believe on a phase 1 remap the phrase "Custom" is 99.5% clever advertising. The clever bit being the use of fancy words like 'tailored' and 'custom'............let's face it "Tweaked version of the standard map we give everyone else" doesn't sound as good

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Its now been relisted with the same description, but a starting price of £800, and in the text an asking price of £2800.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This has Scam written all over it....

"I'm just a poor little girl, please don't ask me questions, just send me your money.... to Nigeria"

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
what was she asking before, i think it was around £5k wanst it.

It was on at £5800.

I personally don't see its a scam, just someone not particularly bright that is selling it. As poorly as its written, its still not typical 'Nigerian English'.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You'd be surprised though. A couple of the questions I've had from scammers when selling things on eBay (phones, mainly) are like that. I had one that was supposedly from a woman in London who wanted to give me a few hundred pounds for a phone I was selling (worth £150) and it was written just like any other idiot writes. I told her she could have it for that price if I could deliver it and collect cash :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members