LCR Stock BHP

warren_cox

Back from the dead
When I had my first LCR tuned at AmD the first RR it put down 229bhp. After their remap it showed 279bhp (according to their charts).

The one word that comes to mind is bollox. I have had performance cars for years, and the LCR has NEVER felt as fast to me as the claimed power outputs. This was proved when I took it to Stealth and it put down a 256bhp (not 279!!!), so it makes you wonder whether the tuners expectations are always realistic.

My immortal words to the missus when I bought my first LCR were "at least this car is such a complete package we shouldn't need to mod it". I eat my words, but then for £19k (at the time), you shouldn't expect too much.

Although obviously its got bucketloads more torque than my previous Lupo GTi, the delivery of power onto the road just doesn't seem that effective. I can't work out if the LCR just isn't that quick, or whether its the ineffectiveness of the way it transfers its power to the tarmac due to electronic intereference or just too much power for a FWD car.

You could say maybe its because I'm a cack driver. Alan Blencowe said I was 'quite competant' on the prodrive track day so I am hoping I'm not driving the car like a complete spaz. OK so my Lupo was modified and weighed less than a tonne, but the LCR has just never felt that quick out of the box (not 225bhp anyway), or subsequently after modding (its quick, but not really quick).

I'm sure this post will get flamed, but I was so convinced my last car must have had a problem that during a house move I got rid of it and then got another so I could start the modding process again from scratch. This one does feel quicker (amazing how cars can differ from one to another), but its nowhere near 250bhp ATW's even with Revo stage 2, race cats, FMIC etc...

Maybe they are deceptively quick and I just can't feel it, but its only when you see a proper fast car like RevoKev's Evo 6 you realise that its still only a Leon on speed. The K04 has a lot to answer for I'm sure, but as my old man says if you want a quick car buy a quick car. Don't think that by bolting all sorts of stuff together in a FWD car you will ever end up with a sports car experience. He thinks I'm warped spending on mods like I do on the Leon. Horses for courses, but I can't afford an RS4 or a 911, or the running costs on an Evo 6 so it has to do for now, and all things considered its not all bad! ;)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
coxw said:
Maybe they are deceptively quick and I just can't feel it, but its only when you see a proper fast car like RevoKev's Evo 6 you realise that its still only a Leon on speed. The K04 has a lot to answer for I'm sure, but as my old man says if you want a quick car buy a quick car. Don't think that by bolting all sorts of stuff together in a FWD car you will ever end up with a sports car experience.

not too many sports cars can live with mine.

Whats a sports car?
RS4? EVO? M3?

Breathless K04, in a relatively heavy car....

warren_cox

Back from the dead
ibizacupra said:
not too many sports cars can live with mine.

Whats a sports car?
RS4? EVO? M3?

After longer reflection I suppose something that may have been designed from the ground up for performing in motorsport events, not a family hatchback conversion, but then that counts out the RS4/M3 which is ulitmately a family saloon. I dont know if the Evo was conceived as a rally car or a family saloon. I suppose it should be a vehicle that is designed with compromises in order to be quick. Obvioulsy purists will then throw in the FWD/4WD/RWD arguments. To be quick in a straight line (which the Leon is kind of) is one thing, but I don't think that it is quick in the twisties. Going quick on straights never feels that exhilarating. The Fiesta ST was quicker than the LCR round Anglesey despite the extra BHP/torque it has. No matter how fast you make it with BT's or IHI's can you ever make a front engined FWD car go that quick on anything but straights without losing shedloads of weight? I know your car is killer quick, but how stripped out is it, and does it do corners as well??

ibizacupra said:
Breathless K04, in a relatively heavy car....
I completely agree. I would love to strip out my car if it wasn't for the implications of convenience / resale / getting it back in again / general lack of refinement / potential insurance implications / warranty doesn't run out until April 08. My old Mk1 Golf had no rear seats, trim panels, parcel shelf or sound proofing and it made it even more sure footed and made the modest 130bhp feel far more effective. The K04 is defo an achilles heal. So is weight, so is the rather unpleasant handling pack from OE. Wont be going IHI/BT in this car as I think by the time the warranty goes on it I will shop it in for something that has more power from OE.

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
I do agree that the FWD is a problem! My motor struggles to get my modest 212 nags on the tarmac! My next car will definitely be 4WD! Shame we never got the option of the Cupra 4 in this country! :(

Gizmo

Jan 1, 2006
Fidge said:
I do agree that the FWD is a problem! My motor struggles to get my modest 212 nags on the tarmac! My next car will definitely be 4WD! Shame we never got the option of the Cupra 4 in this country! :(

Well I'm coming the other way.

Selling my 260BHP Impreza and got a LCR 225 on the way. Scoob has to go because of mileage and problems with insuring modded cars. It's been creeping towards £800 over the last few years whilst the LCR I can get for ~£420.

Also 20mpg aint good. Never seemed to get Scoob better than that unless on long motorway run. Managed to get 7mpg on track :wtf:

Hope I haven't made the wrong choice with the LCR. Hopefully wallet will confirm this although I'm sure I'm going to miss the performance, handling and noise :cry:

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
Gizmo said:
Well I'm coming the other way.

Selling my 260BHP Impreza and got a LCR 225 on the way. Scoob has to go because of mileage and problems with insuring modded cars. It's been creeping towards £800 over the last few years whilst the LCR I can get for ~£420.

Also 20mpg aint good. Never seemed to get Scoob better than that unless on long motorway run. Managed to get 7mpg on track :wtf:

Hope I haven't made the wrong choice with the LCR. Hopefully wallet will confirm this although I'm sure I'm going to miss the performance, handling and noise :cry:

Once you have it chipped you'll soon forget about your Scooby! Traction is only really an issue in the wet! You will miss the sound though! :(

Gizmo

Jan 1, 2006
YerMother said:
Once you have it chipped you'll soon forget about your Scooby! Traction is only really an issue in the wet! You will miss the sound though! :(

Promised myself wouldn't start down the modding route with this one after having spent bucketloads on Scoob.

Wonder how long that promise will last :doh:

Ju.

Oct 4, 2004
Bradford
Gizmo said:
Promised myself wouldn't start down the modding route with this one after having spent bucketloads on Scoob.

Wonder how long that promise will last :doh:

Not long on SCN ..........trust me!!! :rolleyes:

psq43

Wibbly Wobbly
Feb 1, 2005
Wiltshire
Knowing my luck, my unmodded LCR225 prob churns out the lowest figures on here even in ideal test conditions! lol. Seems hard to get away from anything at the min! Maybe because its due for 20k service soon!

Last edited:

neeleyveeley

Eyed Beauty
Mar 9, 2004
Midlands
Visit site
Lots of factors to take into account but guessing some will be more than others, I've seen just over 250bhp on the dyno from a stock 225 with it making over 270 revo'd. Torque figures are also interesting to look at with some making very good figures with a re-map.

Most should read similar to the Manufaturers claims but if your up or down I'd guess that on the road the cars would still be almost identical - not that I've tried.....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.