I am now the proud owner...

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
..... of a Bronze Leon Cupra on a 51 plate :D
But with new car comes new problem :( Whilst driving home, doing about 60 along the dual carriageway and a slight turn to the right, I can hear a knocking noise coming from the engine bay!
Got home and done a 3 point turn and the knocking sound came from turning both left and right but dissapeared when driving in a straight line.
Have done a search in the forum and I'm thinking (or hoping) either CV joints or ARB bushes.
This sound wasn't apparent when I took it for a test drive, but since then, it's had the cambelt, tensioners and water pump fitted.
Anyone any ideas?

Last edited:

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
Car is now in my local garage and they're going to investigate the noise. From reading through the forum, it could be the Anti Rollbar Bushes, but then again it could be anything! Will find out hopefully in a few hours...
When I pulled up at the garage this morning, the revs started to go up and down. Garage said it sounded like it was hunting - possible split pipe or something and to bring her back this afternoon. Took the car home then went to go shopping with the family and as I went to pull away, the revs dropped to nearly nothing (sounded like it was about to die) and it felt like it had lost its power! Managed to drive it round the block and park up back home and cancelled the shopping (I was happy but she wasn't)!
Called garage as I was due to take it down there this afternoon, car started ok and revs fluttered a bit. Gave a kick on the throttle and it seemed ok after that! When I arrived at the garage, she was idling fine (typical).
Whilst the car was up on the lift/ramp, we noticed the rear tyre was split on the inside and was very border illegal!
Anyway, the tyre is being replaced, they're going to investigate the knocking sound and also put her on the diagnostic machine to see what it throws up!
Not bad for only owning the car 24hrs!!!

R69

Nov 18, 2008
West Midlands
Congrats on the new motor but sorry to hear about the trouble it's giving you. :(
Hope all is sorted soon for you though :)

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
Cheers R69.
Diagnostic machine found nothing - which is good news.
Rear tyre replaced

Knocking sound - They reckon it's the passenger side shock. £64 to replace + labour etc.
Will phone the warranty company tomorrow to see if this is covered.
Any thoughts anyone?

PolizeiYT

When I pulled up at the garage this morning, the revs started to go up and down. Garage said it sounded like it was hunting - possible split pipe or something and to bring her back this afternoon. Took the car home then went to go shopping with the family and as I went to pull away, the revs dropped to nearly nothing (sounded like it was about to die)

From one West Sussex "Bronze" to another, did you sort this?
I've had my Cupra for a month or so, I find more so after a high speed drive that mine (sometimes) does this but I've been led to believe it's the coil packs starting to go.

Best,

Whitey

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members