Hesitation/ pulling back at 1500 RPM

Memphis

The Don
Jan 1, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hi,

I'd be grateful for some help on this.

I have a standard Mk1 FR TDi and it has recently gone in for its 40k service (its done approx 37500 miles).

When accelerating the car feels like it is pulling back slightly when it gets between 1500 and 2000 rpm. It is not a great deal but seems to be getting worse by the day and is annoying. When accelerating from say 10 mph to say 30/40 it does this about 3 or 4 times (each one is only a fraction of a second and not really enough to throw the me forward in my seat). Interestingly, when I boot it, I can't/ haven't noticed it.

Now the first thing that has popped into my head is the clutch is slipping. Alternatively, Volkswagen who did my service replaced some boost hose seals as they were on their way out I was told. Could that be the cause?

Any suggestions are more than welcome. If anything needs explaining further, just let me know.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
sounds exactly the same as mine when i had a dodgy N18 egr control valve. Try swapping over the N75 and N18 valves on the back firewall to see if it makes a difference. Ive posted up when i first joined bout my issues so you could search back for that too.

Memphis

The Don
Jan 1, 2008
South Yorkshire
sounds exactly the same as mine when i had a dodgy N18 egr control valve. Try swapping over the N75 and N18 valves on the back firewall to see if it makes a difference. Ive posted up when i first joined bout my issues so you could search back for that too.

Cheers. Sorry, I was down in Bristol on work for a couple of days so I couldn't reply. I've just done a few searches on this. Most of what I found sounds exactly like what is happening with mine. I'll have no problem buying one and changing it myself if that is the cause. I've got it booked into my local garage so that they can check it under warranty. If they agree with this then I'll be doing some diy.

Last edited:

sssstew

Editing your spelling
be careful when pulling off the old vac hoses as the connectors on the N18+n75 have been known to break (mine did on one too and i was even warned) as the hoses tend to go a bit hard so are difficult to pull off. Hope it sorts it for you.

Memphis

The Don
Jan 1, 2008
South Yorkshire
Well, it looks like the problem was a loose intake pipe.
I took it to the dealer for a check under warranty. They ran it through their diag's which I assume is VAG COM. Nothing came up. They then had a look around and found that the intake pipe was loose. This was secured and all seems well now.

It feels great to have the car back. I'd put off driving it for a week until I found out what was wrong.