GTi 8V giving me one of 3 problems

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Done a quick search on this, but i'll explain whats going off first so you can point me to one of the solutions.

The car keeps loosing revs when i put the clutch in at juctions, goes down to about 300rpm, it occasionally stalls but starts again straight away and blasts off no issues. Doest loose power at any other time apart from when i put the clutch down coming up to a junction from either, 3rd 4th or 5th. DOES NOT do it when i come out of 1st or 2nd and when its had a good run it doesnt do it at all.

So from my search i think it could be one of these three:
1. Idle valve?
2. Coils?
3. Wiring loom problem, smithy posted a thread where his had some damage and thats what was causing the cut outs.

Any help appreciated, not a huge problem, but just a niggly little one.

Cheers guys

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
One I believe. I ended up replacing dist. cap, leads and spark plugs. In the wrong order until finally discovering it was the coil - still no harm done and it's all nice new stuff. :)

Scott

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
everyone is having problems with there mkII's at the moment, mines turned alcholic!!

If i was you id get it in a garage u no well, could be a number of things. they should be able to target it strait away if there any good.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Well its due a service in the not so distant future and as the cars not in everyday use i'm not going worry unless the stalling becomes a regular occurance. But its nice to give the mechanic a direction to head in as they often check everything and run me a huge labour bill, so i like to try and cut that. Also the hassle of taking it to the garage and devoting a day to it is quite hard at the mo with it being my last 3 months of uni.

But as i said its only a little niggle. Must be fun when the cops, pull you up, 'no sir i aint pi$$ed, its the car'.

Last edited:

Rob.N

I had the same problem recentley. :(
I took it to my local garage who plugged the car into the computer yet no error codes. However I did mention to them that I suspected It was the Idle Control Valve and sure enough it was.
You should be able to tell if you remove the Induction Housing and see lots of Black Treacle like gunk then get a can of Engine Degreaser and give it a squirt.:D
If you do that yourself you can rule the Idle Control Valve Out and save about 1/2 hours labour at the Garage.

Hope this Helps
Rob.N

1998R Ibiza GTI Cupra Sport 8v

Laptop

Hi guys ,
I'm having the same prob , but am not the greatest with cars. Any hint on where to find this idle control valve? If it's not a job a novice can do can anyone suggest a decent garage in the Cardiff or local area?
Cheers!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
i dont know myself actually, i think it somewhere between the air feed and the throttle body :shrug: anyone know where it is? and how big it is the haynes manual only shows it for the 16v

Rob.N

You are on the right path!! Just follow the air feed and unclip at main throttle body then clean. You should see the gunk !!

Rob.N

Its Gunk that builds up over time.
Apparently its something to be checked at service as its a common problem with Ibiza's and Golfs. But mine looked as though it hadn't been done since the cars first registration.(Quite Caked!)
Carb Cleaner will do the trick!!
I understand its rarely a Idle Control Valve that fails as these aren't particularly cheap.(VW=£250+):(

Laptop

Cheers for the advice , guys.
Mine's sorted now. Got a good clean and we're up and running.
Back to enjoying the Cupra like I always used to!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
The clips holding the pipe on are giving me greif, i have tried prising them but the pipe starts bending and flexing. The are like metal rings? ANy easy way to prise these bad boys off? Scared $^%$less of breaking something

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.