Freetrack /BMN low power at low revs

jimmytdi

Oct 17, 2020
Just bought a 57 freetrack tdi and it has low power at low revs. No codes showing at all and lots of power at high revs although not as responsive as it should be.

I started checking all the vacuum pipes with a hand vacuum pump, was all looking fine even the turbo vains lever moved smoothly.
Found a problem with the swirl flap actuator not holding the vacuum and also not operating the lever at all.
Had the manifold (plastic) off this afternoon and also found a gap where the swirl flap rod goes through the manifold causing a boost leak! The flaps were all intact although the whole rod moved around a lot.

I've ordered a new plastic manifold with actuator and gasket off Ebay which I'll fit and see how it goes. I gave the egr and the other valve a good clean but they both moved ok and weren't too gummed up.

I've yet to inspect all the boost pipes and intercooler, and the turbo whistles a lot too.

The manifold arrives in a couple of days so hopefully that will make a difference!

Mud

Sep 11, 2024
Hi Jimmy, did you get to the bottom of the problem? My low rev driveability was massively improved after I cleaned the MAF sensor with a MAF cleaning spray. It starts much better, much better mpg and much better low down flexibility. I have also been wondering whether I should clean the fuel pressure regulator? I have seen a few pics online where they seem very dirty potentially causing an issue? Thanks

Reactions: jimmytdi

Mud

Sep 11, 2024
Hi Jimmy, I did just find this post;

For a few quid for an updated egr gasket it might be worth a shot?

Cheers!

Reactions: jimmytdi

jimmytdi

Oct 17, 2020
Hi Jimmy, did you get to the bottom of the problem? My low rev driveability was massively improved after I cleaned the MAF sensor with a MAF cleaning spray. It starts much better, much better mpg and much better low down flexibility. I have also been wondering whether I should clean the fuel pressure regulator? I have seen a few pics online where they seem very dirty potentially causing an issue? Thanks
I've only just got the new manifold so will be putting it all back together tomorrow.
I'll definitely clean the maf sensor too.
I've de-coked the egr and anti shudder flap thingy while they were off too.

I'm still thinking there's a split boost pipe on my car somewhere but that's another job to do, jacking the car up and wrestling with the plastic under tray!