• Formentor members, we are testing a new feature requiring selection of a model year when posting - more info here

Formentor PHEV: real world performance?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Folks driving Golf GTE report around 60/70 mpg 'real world' but its going to depend on use.
Phev are really for people like me who would spend 70% of their time on EV around town with the rest in hybrid mode. Over a year my overall average if ran one probably would be around 600 mpg because I'd be running in EV the majority of the time.
Most VAG EV (so I assume SEAT/Cupra are the same) will manage the battery if the sat nav is used
It does manage the battery (if SatNav used), and will save battery usage to use in hybrid mode back home - except home is your final destination, so all the timings and mileages are to back home, not to your actual destination which is now just a waypoint.

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
No, nearest thing is the Tavascan, coming soon.

I've got 60mpg overall in 2.5 years with my VZ2 245 Hybrid - but that’s just a function of how much EV running you do that counts to the overall mpg, others who don’t use the engine for months will get more. I commute 12 mile each way twice a week on EV only as a minimum.

With life in the battery it’ll do 50mpg on A/B roads, where it can regen but battery will be gone in 60/70 miles especially if you use the performance boost, but on a motorway it’ll drop to 40mpg as there’s no real chance to switch the engine off and wind resistance is the enemy. When the battery’s flat it’ll do 40mpg on A/B Road running.
Tavascan will be out of my price range I think, and currently not showing as an option on my works lease site.

I would likely use EV mode during the week for work travel, and hybrid mode at weekends.

What engine and battery size is your VZ2 hybrid?

It's the facelift VZ2 I'm looking at, which has a 1.5 petrol engine and 25.8 kWh battery.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Tavascan will be out of my price range I think, and currently not showing as an option on my works lease site.

I would likely use EV mode during the week for work travel, and hybrid mode at weekends.

What engine and battery size is your VZ2 hybrid?

It's the facelift VZ2 I'm looking at, which has a 1.5 petrol engine and 25.8 kWh battery.
Mine is the first gen VZ2, so 1.5 engine (same) and 12KWh battery (but only 10KWh is usable or visible as it reserves the rest for hybrid use - the max it charges from 0% to 100% is 10KWh). Does 28 to 32ish miles dependant on the outside temperature, so second gen hybrid should get double that.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
25.8 kWh battery.
It's actually less than 20 kWh USABLE battery; about 19.7 kWh if I'm not mistaking. Still, that means almost double the capacity of the pre-facelift PHEV.

Mine is the first gen VZ2, so 1.5 engine (same)
In fact, the pre-facelift PHEVs of VAG group (Golf, Octavia etc.) are equipped with the 1.4 TSI (code DGEA), delivering the same 150HP and 250 Nm as the 1.5 TSI that is now available on the PHEV facelift.

One major difference with the 1.5 TSI on the facelift: the two available system powers for PHEV (204HP and 272HP) are now given by two power outputs of the 1.5 TSI: 150HP and 177HP respectively. On the pre-facelift, the 1.4 TSI was delivering the same 150HP on both 204HP and 245HP PHEV versions, it was just a matter of electric motor output difference - even though it was the same motor.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
In fact, the pre-facelift PHEVs of VAG group (Golf, Octavia etc.) are equipped with the 1.4 TSI (code DGEA), delivering the same 150HP and 250 Nm as the 1.5 TSI that is now available on the PHEV facelift.

One major difference with the 1.5 TSI on the facelift: the two available system powers for PHEV (204HP and 272HP) are now given by two power outputs of the 1.5 TSI: 150HP and 177HP respectively. On the pre-facelift, the 1.4 TSI was delivering the same 150HP on both 204HP and 245HP PHEV versions, it was just a matter of electric motor output difference - even though it was the same motor.
Thanks for the correction, so is the 1.5 just a larger version of the 1.4 or a different design engine?

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
is the 1.5 just a larger version of the 1.4 or a different design engine?
AFAIK it is a new engine, some sort of "evolution" of the 1.4 TSI, that should me more efficient and should cope easier with the increasing de-polluting regulations. If I'm not wrong, the cylinder bore is the same, but the piston stroke is higher, hence the larger cc.

VZ2 eHybrid 272 in metallic megnetic tech grey, let the 35 week wait commence!
Congrats!
However, 35 weeks is quite a long wait! I thought the automotive industry bounced back after the components crisis of the last few years.

Mine was take already

Aug 13, 2024
UK
Thanks for the correction, so is the 1.5 just a larger version of the 1.4 or a different design

They're all ea211 series engines although the 1.5 is referred to as 'EVO' and the current 1.5 is EVO2. So yes it's technically larger version but the 1.4 dropped over 10 years ago so there have been a fair amount of development.

Lots of chatter about the 1.4 being 'better' on performance and mpg but I've not found any performance tests or mpg figures from honest john or long term reviews to back that up.

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
AFAIK it is a new engine, some sort of "evolution" of the 1.4 TSI, that should me more efficient and should cope easier with the increasing de-polluting regulations. If I'm not wrong, the cylinder bore is the same, but the piston stroke is higher, hence the larger cc.

Congrats!
However, 35 weeks is quite a long wait! I thought the automotive industry bounced back after the components crisis of the last few years.
Yeah long wait! Had been looking at options to cut costs since my mortgage went up £240 a month, but really loved my Formy and wanted to keep it, but it's a 2021 VZ2 310, and is 1 month away from the end of it's warrantly, so ext warranty and MoT cost was looming! overall with the facelift VZ2 ill save £130 a month!

I have no idea when they started taking facelift orders, nor when the first ones are due to be delivered, if not already out there. They said 35 wks is just an estimate and will confirm when my order is approved by Employer, also opted for the Sennheiser audio upgrade so maybe that increases the wait time.

Reactions: CupForm

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
That's the same engine really (as also posted above). I just wondered if they'd switched engine design half way through the 'chassis' life as manufacturers used to do (alternate new body and then new engines at facelift which is the half life of the body).

A friend has bought a Kuga PHEV, has a 2.5 litre petrol engine - I thought it must have monstrous power but it's less in total than the Formentor (but Ford are being a bit cagey about the power split between ICE and EV motors).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members