Formentor phev drive profile sport/cupra

Jul 26, 2024
Good morning everyone,I need your help to better understand the sport driving modes of my Formentor plug-in.

Let me explain further: given the spirited nature of the Formentor, I often find myself drivinen "happy" in either the sport or Cupra mode. However, I cannot understand why, even in these more "sport" modes, the thermal engine frequently shuts off during braking or when not pressing firmly on the accelerator, switching to the electric motor only.

The consequences are slow reactions when exiting corners or even delayed responses during overtaking, as the car needs time to restart the engine and regain the push from the thermal motor.I have also tried using the manual shift mode, but the behavior remains the same.

Please tell me I am doing something wrong, because if it is designed this way, it is truly a shame for a car with such excellent dynamic characteristics.

Thank you all in advance!

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Because it’s a hybrid, using the electric motor when it’s doesn’t need the petrol engine, yes even in Sport mode (at least the gearbox would be in Sport mode, as Drive mode is truely sluggish). I believe though have never tried, that Cupra mode keeps the engine running all the time?

Although in most driving situations in hybrid mode I find a slight application of throttle at even low speed has the engine running anyway.

Reactions: CupForm

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
slow reactions when exiting corners or even delayed responses during overtaking, as the car needs time to restart the engine and regain the push from the thermal motor
I have the non-VZ version, therefore no Cupra-mode for me, but I never found myself in a situation where I considered the hybrid-system is slow to react - in this case slow or "delayed" response of the ICE. Sure, if you get out of some crazy sports car and jump into the PHEV-Cupra, you might find it a bit slow with respect to the other car. Otherwise I think it's pretty easy to get used to the hybrid response. I drive it quite spirited on mountain roads on each opportunity I get, and never found it to pull out with delay from sharp curves. Same for overtaking - no problem whatsoever.
(note: I keep the gearbox in Sport most of the time while outside the city)

Jul 26, 2024
Thank you very much for the responses. I can confirm that the behavior is the same even in Cupra mode. I agree with you that these are just details, but I come from a Volvo plug-in and I the engine always being present and ready in sport mode.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.