Engine Compatibility

magocks

A MATE RECENTLY REPLACED HIS TOLLY 1.9TDI 90BHP ENGINE WITH A GOLF 1.9 TDI ENGINE. iT AINT RUNNING TOO WELL . LOOSES POWER INTERMITTENTLY, WHEN RESTARTED IT RUNS OK FOR A WHILE. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THERE ARE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH THE OLD BRAIN AND NEW ENGINE.

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
if you do an engine swap its always good to get the same ecu with the engine (excuse my limited knowledge).
i wont be suprised if you are still using your old ecu.
same engine code is always good news too toghether with the complete wiring loom.

EMSCUPRA

pd

Not too clued up on engines, what does pd stand for? All I know is that the golf engine is about 2yrs old with 19000 miles on it.

hello mate, for reference PD stands for PUMP DUSE which is basically the engines that come in the 2001 and newer model tdi's. The PD has 4 x Pump duse injectors wich are electronically controlled injectors that incorporate a pump in each (so instead of having 1 pump on the pre pd engines you will have 4 high pressure pumps which are all fed from another low pressure pump)

basically the way to tell is, if the injectors are on the outside of the head then it is a pre PD engine 2001 and older or if the injectors arent on the outside of the head then it is a PD engine.

you usually find these cars with the PD engines are usually called e.g Golf TDI PD130 or they do the 90,100,115,150 and even 160 bhp models

hope this helps a little, sorryit doesnt really answer your problem at all, just thought i would have a go at explaining PUMP DUSE (PD)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.