DSG just thought

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Pretty much anything is possible if you throw enough money at it and can find an engineering firm interested.

Buying a Golf or Audi will be a lot easier option of course! (No idea if the new Cupra is to be offered with DSG).

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
AFAIK you can get DSG on Seats, but without the paddle shift. Seems kinda pointless really.

I thought that until I drove my old man's new Golf GT TDI. He always buys auto's, which isn't my thing, but its the most impressive auto box I have ever driven. Incredibly smooth and responsive. Shame they don't offer the paddles with the diesel models.

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I've driven a shoddy CVT auto before (Crappy 1.4 Fiesta).
I would like a DSG, I suppose you can still use the stick for sequential shifting even without the paddles. Saves a lot of strain on the left leg aswell :D

Maybe my next car will have it. Shouldn't really be thinking of that though as I only just bought this one :(

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
I thought that until I drove my old man's new Golf GT TDI. He always buys auto's, which isn't my thing, but its the most impressive auto box I have ever driven. Incredibly smooth and responsive. Shame they don't offer the paddles with the diesel models.

The Golf 170 GT TDi DSG is a motor that interests me greatly at this moment in time .

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
I've driven some DSG cars, like the Audi A3 and Golf and they worked superbly. Getting used to them at first was a bit difficult but afterwards the drive was rewarding. Its a shame you can't get the mk1 leon in a DSG form as you would see a great improvement on the way it drives, add to that either a high powered diesel or petrol turbo and your looking at a serious performer!

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
Did you know that all DSG equipped cars have built in launch control..............

and if you use it more than 5 times within the warranty period it invalidates it!!

(they can see through diagnostics how many times you have hit the limiter, used launch control etc)

Norm

DSG is the most amazing auto ive ever driven! put it in sport and the thing just flies, I hope the launch control isnt true or i invalidated my warranty within a month of having the car. I never really use the sequential shift as sport does it all for you when u need performance but would appreciate paddle shift for those twisty roads!

2.0 TDI SPORT DSG

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I was told by a guy on a training course with me a few weeks back. He was a vw sales guy for 2 yrs previously.

He toldme that they can see how many times you have hit the rev limiter and used launch control.

Apparently, they can void warranties on launch control and rev limiter issues depending upon how many time you have hit/used either within that warranty time frame.

Norm

Thats a little worrying I quite often use sport mode on my DSG and often involves flooring it and the gear box decides what too do for me which is pretty much the redline!!!!:whistle:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
If you hit the rev limiter in the leon its throws up a warning code saying "warrantee void" Nothing to be worried about unless you take the mick. Ive had it a few times and if its anything like the old ecu you can clear the codes with VAG Com

I was under the impression the dsg box couldn’t take much torque or similar?

The above link looks good so all the gear should fit in all you would have to do is change over the bell housing (assuming it will go in?) I know the R32 uses the same short shifter so i would have though the box should be roughly the same? Only think is the gearing would be different

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.