Doing ABS Bleed cycle

Sulli

3rd Cupra
I have just flushed, refilled and bled the brake fluid after replacing discs and pads, but still (as before) have a little bit of pedal travel before brakes bite, which I just don't get.
When I did the flush I didn't have engine running, just did normal pump pedal when valve open, close valve before pedal up, keeping resevoir topped up.
I have been researching here and elsewhere, and see vag-com can cycle the ABS, which I guess might help me.
I see from Ross-Tech that to do the bleed cycle all wheels must be off the ground - is that it? Any opening of valves or anything, or do I just need to check on brake fluid level after cycle?
Cheers :)

Sulli

3rd Cupra
I just bled the brakes, without engine running.
Now I could do again with engine running, but if the ABS cycle with vag.com will sort it then that is a whole lot less time consuming as far as I understand it.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Westec had this with mine, I took my car for a test drive and the pedal had way too much travel, they went round the car again, engine off and re-bled each caliper (rear then front) literally 2 or 3 three bubbles in the rear off side and voila everything was sorted.........I couldn't believe such little amounts of air caused it.

Sulli

3rd Cupra
There were no bubbles - made absolutely sure - must have pumped pedal 30+times a corner, and used around a litre of new fluid, so properly flushed and bled.
As for pressure bleed, I have tried it before, and didn't get on with it - tried it on Friday again, with brand new kit, as I though my old one had had it, and ended up with brake fluid all over the garage - was all sealed OK when pressure testing, filled bottle with new fluid, reattached valve, and voila, seal on cap over resevoir gives up the ghost and pisses out:censored:
Those caps just never fit snugly enough (in my experience).
So, assuming bleed was done OK (I did ensure that pedal travel was slow and not to baulkead, so as not to bugger seals), is the ABS cycle worth a try? Is it as simple as just lifting car up and running the cycle on vag.com?

Sulli

3rd Cupra
I did the ABS cycle, which didn't do a lot, so quickly bled again with engine running - sorted :D Should have done that in the first place - brakes perfect now and very responsive. Impressed with the Galfer 1045s - seem better than the standard pads in that they are more progressive, and enable much more feel with braking.

Sulli

3rd Cupra
1. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/absbleeding.html
2. Get vehicle up on axle stands with all wheels (or just the front two if lazy) off. Make sure you have a helper in the drivers seat, some brake fluid, at least a litre, an 11mm ring-end spanner, bleed hose and appropriate container to catch fluid in, and a clean funnel to top resevoir up. Start with brake furthest from resevoir (passenger rear), and make sure engine on. Get ring spanner on bleed valve and bleed hose over the valve, Undo the valve counter-clockwise, probably around 1/3 of a turn, and get helper to slowly push brake down to about halfway (not to baulkhead) - you should see fluid flowing through tube, hopefully with no bubbles. Helper must only push down and not allow brake back up at all until you have tightened valve back up completely. Repeat this until fluid comes through withour bubbles, or whilst topping up resevoir every few times, until it runs clear with fresh fluid. Do the same with next rear wheel, followed by front passenger (doing valves on both sides of caliper on Brembos), and finally same on front drivers side.
Make sure resevoir kept topped up throughout. I have resevoir cap properly on when bleeding, except off course when topping up, not sure this is nedessary or not. Make sure helper can hear you and understands not to let brake up until valve is closed, as this may let air into system.
Thats it.

I'm not sure the ABS bleed cycle is necessary to be honest.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.