Clonking Suspension

rust bucket

Jul 14, 2003
Whitley Bay
www.freeserve.co.uk
I've developed a clonk from the nearside front suspension it happens after braking and turning right -mainly roundabouts. it also does it when i reverse out of my garage.
Any idea- I've only done 15000 miles and have Koni dampers fitted.

Ant FR Turbo

May 14, 2004
yeah mine clonks when i have it on full lock, notice when i turn into my garahe block, should i take it back to SEAT

BUGIE

Representing the Maltese
Aug 12, 2004
Germany
Ant FR Turbo said:
yeah mine clonks when i have it on full lock, notice when i turn into my garahe block, should i take it back to SEAT

As far as i know even VW polo's / golfs do this when you don't give it a lot of gas from stop

Chris

p.s. mine does as well

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If I've done a full-lock manoeuvre (eg parking etc), I'll get one or two clonks like this while driving afterwards. I was guessing it was maybe the springs moving in their seats or something, and then reseating later, but would be interesting to know if anyone gets any better explanations...

Grapo

Jul 28, 2004
London
On another clonking note, does anyone elses passenger seat belt clasp rattle against the chair when no one is sitting in it? took me ages to work out what the strange noise was.

Deleted member 5985

? My car does none of those things (touch wood)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Grapo said:
On another clonking note, does anyone elses passenger seat belt clasp rattle against the chair when no one is sitting in it? took me ages to work out what the strange noise was.
It might do, but the noise is probably drowned out by the rattles from the door trim...

Does anyone else find that various rattles go away during the warmer summer months, then come back when it starts to cool down again like it is now ?

Shake

Grapo said:

Yeah, I have that rattle too...what I managed to do, is that, when nobody else is sitting in it, I buckle it up anyways, that keeps the rattle off....

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Grapo said:

Yep, mine does that too but not always I suppose it depends on the position of the belt. I have also noticed having got my car back from repair my tailgate is rattling on the catch again. This seemed to have dissappeared during the summer months but has come back again now the weather is colder so I will be telling the dealer to adjust it when it goes in for service in a couple of weeks.

Bye the way slightly off topic but since receiving my car back from repair following my unfortunate accident in august, the headlights appear to be steaming up which never happened before but I know some of you have experienced this before so I was wondering what's the solution and should I take the car back to the body repair shop for them to fix ?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
aceman said:
By the way slightly off topic but since receiving my car back from repair following my unfortunate accident in august, the headlights appear to be steaming up which never happened before but I know some of you have experienced this before so I was wondering what's the solution and should I take the car back to the body repair shop for them to fix ?

I take it they replaced the headlights?

The headlights need some ventilation to them. My SEAT dealer fixed mine (as the tech update said) by drilling some small pilot holes into the lamp...it worked!

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Thanks Tom I will have a word when I take it in for service. Whereabouts do they put the holes in the top of the units or underneath as that would be a b*tch of a job to do if you had to take the units out.

BUGIE

Representing the Maltese
Aug 12, 2004
Germany
Shake said:
Yeah, I have that rattle too...what I managed to do, is that, when nobody else is sitting in it, I buckle it up anyways, that keeps the rattle off....

To save buckling the seat up i just rest the belt on the seat (seeing as it is sort of buckety shape it holds it in place). This way ppl won't think you have an invisible friend :blink: :happy: :D :bleh:

Whilst on this my seat has started creaking anyway got any ideas hoiw i can solve it apart from removing the seat and sitting on a coke crate

Chris

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Mine has had a clonk for a while and took it to the garage on thursday and they tightend everything up and it's still there. So i took it to where i used to have my golf serviced, quick drive and a look (5 Min). The ARB is ****ed up on the left and going on the right.

Makes you wonder how Seat train there technician's.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
What's actually gone then, is it a bush on the ARB ?
And under what conditions does yours "clonk" then Niall ?

Mine's going in next week for my CV joint & split boot to be replaced, might get them to have a look at this too (and my flickering headlights...).

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Anytime i hit a bump in the road it goes clonk. I think it must be the bushes, garage has got to get back to me.

What is wrong with the CV Joint.???

Kyle Townend

Dec 3, 2005
Anti Roll Bar

Mine need replacing every 6 months ago, lowered suspension seems to be ****ing up the balljoints on them :(

My seatbelt holder also rattles, along with pretty much everything else in the car

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
or whoever fitted the suspension split the rubber boots ;) ^^^ talk about dragging up an old thread peeps!!

4/10/2004!!!!!!!

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
Most my front suspension and subframe, driveshafts, steering rack etc was dropped the other wknd when i did my clutch and now I have a dodgy rattling/clonking noise coming from the front, its doing my head in! Found that the two bolts at the rear of the bracket which bolts into the car body holding the lower arms up had vibrated loose last night, are these supposed to be locktited in?? Anyway tightened em up and clonk is now worse???? :confused:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members