Clonking noise-driveshaft?

antnee

On my way home from the Lincoln meet, was going along at 40mph and got a bit of vibration through the wheel, it continues and then theres a clunk, clunk, clunk. I stopped thinking it may be a tyre or wheel; there fine. So I continue and it keeps on going. So then I think it may be something stuck under the car, stop check, nothing, carry on and its still there [:@]

It seems to be worse on power and while steering

:help:

(going to get my dad to drive it when he gets home too)

Last edited by a moderator:

antnee

Right my dad went out in it last night, all he managed to do was get it sideways around a roundabout, but doesnt have a clue what it could be.

Ive just been out in it again now (car was cold), it only clonks when turning left and when the clutch is up. If the clutch is down then theres no clonking. Could this be a gearbox mount gone?

Last edited by a moderator:

antnee

Right just been out again, its the n/s corner its coming from (when turing right, not left like I said before)

It gets worse as the car warms up, when the cars up to temp it sound like Ive got a Leprechaun under the bonnet hitting stuff with a hammer! its that loud.

Its worse turning right (so more load on n/s wheel), when accerating. When its warm it also knocks when turning left too.

Does this sound like the driveshafts gone?

antnee

The thing is, would a driveshaft or bushings suddenly go? As far as I can remember I haven't hit anything/bad potholes. So I think it's just happened while driving along at 40 :(

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
What about bushes etc. in the suspension/wishbone?

Thats what I was thinking, wishbones or possibly shocks/shock mounts

Jack it up or stick the front end on a curb and slide under with a torch and have a good looksee. If a rubber has been going it might have suddenly gotten to the point where metal is touching metal.

Wiggle the wheels etc, you know the score, keep wiggling and poking around and see if anything looks loose, anythings bent, any nuts are missing, rubbers are cracked and perished, anything looks amiss.

antnee

Its the CV joint :( N/S for definate, my mechanic said there was play in the o/s one too, but sometimes they are supposed to have some play

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members