Car juddering violently on idle

Jul 31, 2024
ondering if anyone can help in at my wits end.
Had my car just over a year, from the moment I bought it it’s had a really rough idle. It was a leaner car and now a first time driver car however my partner took it on the motorway. It judders violently but only doesn’t intermittently. I have changed my glow plugs, brand new injectors, new fuel filter, air filter. Serviced once ( only done 1k miles since I’ve had it)
Is it something to do with mapping/tuning
Is it trying to regen?
Is it just because it’s a diesel and it’s normal for its age?
really falling out of love for it and throwing money at it.
thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It really needs plugging into a code reader to look for faults, and/or looking at some live data. It could be lots of thing really, without fault codes or data it's hard to say.

Jul 31, 2024
It really needs plugging into a code reader to look for faults, and/or looking at some live data. It could be lots of thing really, without fault codes or data it's hard to say.
Hi thanks for the reply
I’ve plugged into code reader and no fault codes come up at all. Checked numerous times at garages and nothing

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi thanks for the reply
I’ve plugged into code reader and no fault codes come up at all. Checked numerous times at garages and nothing
No worries, i'm not surprised you're pissed off with it, intermittent faults are extremely difficult and annoying!! My first thought would definitely have been injectors, but seeing as you've replaced them then obviously not. I can't really think of anthing obvious that would have those symptoms and yet not set a code.... 🤔 Probably also worth keeping in mind that it could be 2 seperate issues and the idle and juddering are possibly unrelated.

Here's some questions and random thoughts lol....

Do you know what the Engine code is? Usually it's 3 or 4 letters long and stamped on the cylinder head area. I'm a petrol/Leon guy so not 100% familiar with what diesel engines were fitted in the Ibiza in that era.

When you say it does it intermittently, do you mean intermittently on every motorway journey, or do you mean that it can be fine some days and then suddenly start acting up on another day?

It's probably worth checking what brand the MAF sensor is. It should be something reputable like Bosch, but i've seen these kind of issues before when someone has replaced the MAF with some chinese crap off ebay or amazon. It's possible that the previous owner did something like that and would be something else to rule out.

Have you checked all the pipework around the engine, both the air intake pipes and the Crankcase ventilation pipes? I wouldn't think it would have a huge effect on a diesel engine, but if you have a big split in a PCV pipe that could possibly cause a rough idle.

Jul 31, 2024
Yes the engine code is CAYC868939?
So one week it will do nothing but violently shake and judder when idle and then when I’ve taken it to garage and they’ve sorted a few things it’s been ok and then a week or so later it’ll do it again.
pipework has all been checked as I did have a pipe that had a big burn mark that looked like something was rubbing against it, so I had that replaced.
will check the MAF sensor.
could the symptoms be caused by a timing belt being out of sync? I only say this as the company I bought off said they had replaced it but it was an independent garage and not sure if he was a bit of a cowboy? And I only say that as the car has done this since I bought it.
Is this something I should keep throwing money at or look at changing cars do you think ?
Thanks again

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.