Anyones LCR not get on with speed bumps?

Jun 10, 2009
Newbury
My Cupra r seems to not get on very well with the speed bumps, the splitter seems to catch a certain few.

Anyone else this issue? :think: (Mines not lowered i don't think)

Today i had to reverse out a multi story as the splitter got caught on a speed hump. I was scared of ripping it off so bottled it and went out backwards

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Welcome to the wonderful game of 'I love scrapping the front of the car wherever I go' :p

Its annoying but one of those things we all suffer from. Don't worry too much about it though as the splitter is very strong and won't break easily (unless you go 4x4 crazy over the humps) Plus they are cheap to replace!

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Is your LCR lowered? they must be some size of speed bumps or a very steep ascent i only ever caught my splitter on 1 speed bump in my town when i was on OEM ride height, annoyed at this i measured it and it was not to the EU standard, the local council had to dig it up and do properly.

Logan 5

Jun 12, 2009
West Yorkshire
My LCR caught on my drive everyday, Weirdly tho it only ever did it going out. For some reason when i reversed in it never caught.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Logan 5 wrote

My LCR caught on my drive everyday, Weirdly tho it only ever did it going out. For some reason when i reversed in it never caught.

Reversing a fwd car causes the front end to rise a bit, wheras driving forward causes the front end to ltry to sit down. The springs resist the lowering, but there's little resistance to the rise caused by the torque applied in reverse.

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
My car is not lowered but I do have some crazy bumps round where I live plus many steep ascents. The main bumps the car hates is those in the middle, I never go over them like your supposed to. I always go through the middle and go over two of them, seems to do the trick

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
the legal maximum height for a speed bump is 100mm
and im pretty sure the LCR is not lower than that as standard
so i would get complaining if they are above that.
I did when some near me where about 100mm

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
very common there were a couple near me that used to scrape the splitter but thats what its designed for so worst case if it pops off its easy to put back on or replace. Sounds worse than it is in most cases.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
the legal maximum height for a speed bump is 100mm
and im pretty sure the LCR is not lower than that as standard
so i would get complaining if they are above that.
I did when some near me where about 100mm

Thats good to know as I'm sure some round here are higher than that.

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
In London the LCR's splitter is a major PITA: every back-street (ie shortcut) is covered in speed bumps of random shape, width & height. The worst boroughs, by far, are Islington & Camden. It's bad enough having to dodge the hordes of gormless Birkenstock-wearing cyclists that seem to populate these boroughs, never mind drive over every speed-bump at walking pace (literally). [:@]

And if you ever take your LCR on a ferry, take it very, very, very, very, very, very, very slowly when approaching the on/off ramp - and ignore any 'guidance'/gesticulations re pace from the ferry staff that beckon you on/off. :blink:

I guess the problem is not so much how low the splitter is, it's more to do with its height relative to its distance from the front axle's centre-line.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Good advice. It's amazing how bad a town car the LCR is. My old Fiesta with only 90bhp was a much faster car round town, multi storeys, camping fields, etc. as the supple suspension, turning circle and ride height allowed a 'go anywhere' attitude. The LCR on the other hand has to be driven with so much care until you get onto a more open road.

Skint

Because i'm worthless..
Dec 7, 2008
On the A281
In all fairness taking knocks like that is what the splitter is designed for. They are classed as disposable parts so that when you do scrape the car you scrape a £20 bit of plastic not your nice painted bumpers.

I fitted one to my facelift LC and it has come in invaluable in multistoreys and pulling off the road onto certain people's drives/garage's ramps. My car isnt even lowered but it still used to occasionally scrape the bumpers but not anymore. Now it scrapes nice cheap throwaway splitters.