Anyone fitted a cycle carrier?

pvirdi

Hi,

I have been struggling to find a cycle carrier for my seat leon fr. Need to carry 3 bikes going on holiday around Europe in car.

How have you found the saris bones?

Paul

GregCR

Overall very good. It's a very adjustable bike carrier. Not done any long distances with it though and only two bikes max but never been a problem and still attached securely when I end my journey and take the bikes off.

Only concern was finding somewhere to attach the lower two straps as they are supposed to go under the car (on my old 306 they attached on the spare wheel cradle), but the bumper is so big and plasticky on leon that I was worried about serious damage as well as not being able to pull them tight enough. Ended up attaching them inside the boot to the metal anchor points. Worked a treat although fiddly.

Other than that I was as careful as possible with anything that touched the paint and it was all fine.

Hope that helps.

pvirdi

Cheers thanks for the help looking at getting that rack myself and putting 2 adult and a child bike on, I am also putting a roof box on but not loading it up too much only kids stuff.

This should be a problem re overloading?

carrp

Jun 9, 2002
www.unsponsored.co.uk
The rear mount will/could result in the spoiler being ripped off. If the lights/number plate are covered you would need a light board plus all the electrical wiring needed.

I often carry my DH bike in the car in a bike bag with the wheels off or I use a Thule 591 proride carrier on the roof rack. Its a heavy bike and the rack makes it damn easy to get the bike in position and fastened securely.

There is a OEM Leon rack on ebay at the minute (seen it last night) and you can pick the thule racks up for a around £50 if you search.

ja2007

Jan 15, 2007
hi there is two options:
first is going for the roof with roofbars then cycle carriers on top.but bars will set u back(thule brand)£130.00 carriers aprox £30.00 for each bike.

The other option is a rear high mount cycle carrier halfords own brand £55 but the only problem is you must check the straps quite often. have also fitted these to MGZR with the big plastic rear spoliers.

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Quicker/cheaper to fully lower the seats, remove the wheels, whack them in the boot and bring along a wrench to reassemble :)

That way you're distributing the weight better, keeping the car aerodynamic, no worries about covering lights... etc etc

The only reason I can see you not wanting to do this is if you've already filled up your boot.

pvirdi

Cheers thanks for the advice may give the halfords one a go or the roof mounting. Not sure yet may have to have a roof box then the boot mounted is the only option.

2 kids and a wife have enough luggage to fill a mini bus when your driving around Europe!

MatP

Converted
Nov 9, 2004
Lincolnshire
I've just purchased a set of Atera Roofbars from www.roofbox.co.uk. (They also do bike carriers)

£80 and they are very similar to SEAT bars and use the same fixpoints (essentially just a screw with an anti-tamper head on it). Very helpful and next day delivery.

Very happy with them as they have a rubber pad on the feet to stop damage to roof and the bars have a plastic coating on them as well.

Had roof box on them and pair of 4 meter ladders so far.

Thule ones are about £90

As for e-bay, the genuine bars where going for £100 or more three weeks ago. :blink:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise