Anyone fitted a cycle carrier?

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
I've been looking into getting a cycle carrier for the LCR, but i'm a bit unsure about fitting a tailgate mounted one and tightening the straps over the spoiler. Has anyone fitted one? I'm also concerned about scratching the spoiler/tailgate/bumper.

My other option is a roof rack job, but i'd prefer not to go to that extreme as i'm only likely to use it for the bikes.

Cheers

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Ooh - I'm off to Centreparcs in a few weeks & I have to fit one too. My birds parents have a few at theres, so I'll have to try them out, won't be doing it for a few weeks yet though (all are tailgate one's).

keaney

Jul 20, 2003
Cardiff ,Wales
Visit site
Hi ive got and use all the time a pedel stem type roof mounted one,its great! nice and easy to use and with a few straps extra that i weave over the handle bars and through the back wheel the bike doesnt go anywhere,even at 130 lol. My mate had a rear mounted one on his Leon to,and it looked dodgy,i got mine from motorworld,think it was about £20, not much more than that away. And as for taking your own bike to centerparcs,it aint worth it! unless you are only into using it on the road,trail offroad and freeride you carnt do there,they were going to kick me out for " ruining the wildlifes habitat" al we did was make a few dirt jumps :whistle:

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
You are joking right ?

I've been loads of time before, and if you think i'm walking miles at night when i'm bladdered, think again......... lol

FINN

Nov 21, 2006
Northern Ireland - Belfast
I remember reading a post some time ago. Someone fitted a tailgate carrier. Said that the rear spoiler looked to be under stress, i.e. the plastic spoiler flexed when bikes were put onto the rack. I would not be much fussed on fitting one!:shrug:

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
I'm thinking that the spoiler wouldn't be too happy about it, thats one reason why i asked the question on here, to see what people have done. The roof rack mount seems the best option i think.

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
the spoiler will snap off, its only held on with 3 x m6 bolts, and over hangs the glass quite alot, i wouldnt want to put a cup of coffee on the tip of it lol,

roof mount is the only way to go

Saw a taligate mounted carrier with 3 bikes which had dropped off the back of a Renault Scenic on the A1 once......caused havoc with the traffic behind and didn't do the bikes/carrier a lot of good either :D

I use roof bars and Thule cycle carriers....much safer, only downside is the dramatic effect on top speed and fuel consumption.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
i use the thule roof carrier. Looked into the tailagte ones but wasnt convinced. Roof mount looks a lot better as well!

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I'd take the bike apart n put it in the car!

Just out of interest anyone know how much of an effort would it be to remove the spoiler and then fit a carrier? may sound like a silly idea but jus thinking outside of the box?

The problem with the ones that have the bike standing up on the roof, is that they can act as almost a big "sail" on top of the car affecting handlingn and speed etc.

Just remember if the bike obstructs your lights at all, u need to get a lighting board else u could get fined!

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
I'd take the bike apart n put it in the car!

Just out of interest anyone know how much of an effort would it be to remove the spoiler and then fit a carrier? may sound like a silly idea but jus thinking outside of the box?

The problem with the ones that have the bike standing up on the roof, is that they can act as almost a big "sail" on top of the car affecting handlingn and speed etc.

Just remember if the bike obstructs your lights at all, u need to get a lighting board else u could get fined!

Just have to take it steady then............that'll be a shock!:cartman:

Not viable to take it apart and put it in the car as we're looking at going camping later in the year and taking them with us. Can't see they'll go in the boot with everything else!

keaney

Jul 20, 2003
Cardiff ,Wales
Visit site
777 i have had mine on the roof loads,and to be honest apart from the wind noise,it doesnt change the car that much at all,most people that have their bikes on there have a boot full of other gear to so you have to change the way you drive anyway! You are right about the light board mind,thats why i went for roof mounted,its a far more simple setup in my mind.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
yeh i never driven wit one up top myself...jus going on wt ive heard in the past. so i may give it a try if it aint that bad. I've been given some seat roof bars, do the roof cycle carriers jus attach to them out of interest or is it a different set up?

Also how easy is it to get the bike up on the roof i wouldn't wana slip n scratch the car!!

keaney

Jul 20, 2003
Cardiff ,Wales
Visit site
Its real easy,the one i have just uses a clap system to hold the carrier to the roof bars.Just lift the bike into the rail on the carrier that hold the wheels straight,clap an arm to the pedel stem an job done! Like i said above,i also just run a few straps extra arond the frame and its soild,ive never had any trouble with the bike hitting the car either.

GregCR

I have a Saris Bones 3 bike rear mounted rack. Used it for the first time with the Leon this morning. Worked a treat, although only for a 10 min drive to the garage up the road. Only had the one bike on, but it held on solidly.

It is fully adjustable so I managed to get all four feet to sit on the rear window so nothing on the paint work other than the lower straps. I put some material between them and the boot lid. I secured the lower straps to the two hooks inside the boot so I didn't have to attach anything to the bumper.

Being on the window sets it quite high, so no light board is needed (I don't think). Can't as yet comment on whether it will hold to the rear spoiler although it felt pretty solid and didn't break off.... I will have a look at securing the top straps inside the car next time so they are held in by the boot rather than the spoiler.

I was going to put up a couple of pics but can't seem to do that for some reason ("You have uploaded the maximum of 5 files" But I haven't...). Might try again.

GregCR

Read the FAQs...

Pics of Saris Bones:

SarisBones2.jpg

SarisBones1.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.