Any opinions on dunlop sport 9000's?

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
dads got them on his a4, good tyre, although they do wear quickly (he's had 2 sets of fronts inside of 20k) pd diesel torque doesnt help matters either.

:cheers:

DU02

For Sale!!
Jan 4, 2002
Wiltshire
I had some on the fronts a while back.. I thought they were rubbish actually, about on a par with the Pirelli P6000 I had before them.
One of them broke up quite badly on a trackday (Haynes 2 i think)...there were some nice piccies about of the damage somewhere...

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
Originally posted by DU02
I had some on the fronts a while back.. I thought they were rubbish actually, about on a par with the Pirelli P6000 I had before them.
One of them broke up quite badly on a trackday (Haynes 2 i think)...there were some nice piccies about of the damage somewhere...

:eek: Doesn't sound good but from research on the web these things seem to be well rated in most tests, somewhere on par with Toyo Proxes etc.. Only downside seems to be wear which i can live with for now, and replace the fronts in 10k with something else. So far i've read positives from max power, mitsu evo forum and some sites in the land of yanky doodly dandly. Can't find further reports of badness so far... They seem to do exceptionally well in the wet, and are very grippy (prolly due to softer compound) - oh and very quiet! My bridgestones on 17s are too noise IMHO.

Ack who knows eh? Maybe you had an isolated experience? Maybe not! Thanks for sharing all the same tho :)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Got a pair on the front of the LCR.

Certainly better grip than the Pirelli P Zeros, not had them on long enough to comment on wear.

DU02

For Sale!!
Jan 4, 2002
Wiltshire
Mine were on in the summer so never tried them in the wet..
Here's what happened after one trackday...you can see by the rest of the tread that they weren't even too badly worn when this happened.

The pic doesn't really too justice to the damage...you could lift the flap of rubber up and the steel belts were exposed underneath:eek:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
the ones on my dads car look different to those, they have a "v" shaped tread a la eagle f1's and toyo proxes

?

DU02

For Sale!!
Jan 4, 2002
Wiltshire
Maybe they've changed the design then, I'm sure they were SP9000. Perhaps there were more people had experiences like mine so they re-designed them?

DU02

For Sale!!
Jan 4, 2002
Wiltshire
Ok looks like you're right. I recind all previous comments, i thought they were 9000s, my mistake.
However, I still have a very low opinion of Dunlop tyres and wouldn't buy them again no matter how high a number they put on the tyre.

edc

Blue Leather &amp;amp; Shiny Bits
Feb 8, 2002
Surrey
www.clairecoileytrust.com
I've heard of a few VW ppl running these in similar sizes to mine but not much in way of comment. I was thinking of SP9000 or Yoko AVS Sports for a next pair of tyre just to see what they might be like. OT but anyone comment on AVS Sport rubber?

DU02

For Sale!!
Jan 4, 2002
Wiltshire
Sorry about that, honest mistake:redface:
Be interested to hear how you get on with them, tread pattern looks nice

prc

Sooty Meister
Originally posted by edc
I've heard of a few VW ppl running these in similar sizes to mine but not much in way of comment. I was thinking of SP9000 or Yoko AVS Sports for a next pair of tyre just to see what they might be like. OT but anyone comment on AVS Sport rubber?

Ed, check the tirerack reviews on the tyres. I'd also check the test result section as they might have a comparison test done on them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+Sport

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members