Alarm goes off just after pulling away

swanny

Had my Fr for nearly a year now. Over the last six weeks the alarm has gone off first thing in the morning. Each time it is when I have started the car, reversed off of my drive and then the alarm goes off. So there I go driving up my street all embarrassed with my alarm blaring. :(

Each time I have had to stop the car, get out, lock it and then unlock it and start the engine. It has probably happened about 5 times.

Any ideas?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Not heard of that one before.

What model is it - Ibiza or Leon ?

I've heard of alarm problems being caused when the rear washer pipe pops off (vvvv common) and pisses inside the tailgate over the central locking - I think usually this causes problems when trying to arm the alarm, but worth a check I suppose. Does your rear washer work, and is the base of your boot lid wet ?

If it's still under warranty then it's really the dealer's problem; else you might want to get vag-com (or someone with it at least) to check for fault codes.

swanny

muddyboots said:
Not heard of that one before.

What model is it - Ibiza or Leon ?

I've heard of alarm problems being caused when the rear washer pipe pops off (vvvv common) and pisses inside the tailgate over the central locking - I think usually this causes problems when trying to arm the alarm, but worth a check I suppose. Does your rear washer work, and is the base of your boot lid wet ?

If it's still under warranty then it's really the dealer's problem; else you might want to get vag-com (or someone with it at least) to check for fault codes.

Its a Leon.

Checked rear washer etc - all ok there.

The odd thing is that it can go 3 weeks ok and then one morning as I drive up the road the alarm goes off.

Very strange. First service due in 3 weeks, I will mention it then.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
could it be a faulty relay in the alarm circuits? alarm is deactivated when you unlock car, but one or more interior sensor is still sensing, hence the alarm sounding. you get out, lock / unlock, all is ok. intermittent fault :shrug: .

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Does it always happen when it's wet or has been raining recently ? Could be a leak somewhere that's getting into some wiring.

swanny

The last time it happened it hadn't been raining. I have had another check this afternoon and can see no evidence of a leak.

Thing is, it doesn't do it for a while and then when I am off guard, off it goes. The last time in front of the builders at my next door neighbours. I could see them having a good laugh. :cry:

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
I used to have this on my old Rover 214Si with the alarm and it turns out the cable connecting the boot sensor to the alarm box had worn and snapped. So in hot weather it would expand and be fine but the cold weather it would shrink and cause the alarm to go off and all times of the day and night!

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
ive had it a couple of time in my LEON, where I have accidently caught the key fob button as I put it in the ignition and it tried to lock the doors and I suppose set the alarm---then after starting up, the alarm goes off.
dont know if you have a key fob though?--or maybe wearing gloves and catching the button?

Scotman

swanny said:
Had my Fr for nearly a year now. Over the last six weeks the alarm has gone off first thing in the morning. Each time it is when I have started the car, reversed off of my drive and then the alarm goes off. So there I go driving up my street all embarrassed with my alarm blaring. :(

Each time I have had to stop the car, get out, lock it and then unlock it and start the engine. It has probably happened about 5 times.

Any ideas?

Had the same problem a few weeks back. The car would relock itself after i pressed the unlock button twice on the keyfob.

Left it into seat, they replaced the door lock and the window motor.

swanny

Cheers Scotman and Fast_Eddie. Both of those are possible reasons for the alarm going off. I will keep an eye on it over the next week or so. As I said though the first service is due at the end of Jan.

swanny

Nathanio said:
I used to have this on my old Rover 214Si with the alarm and it turns out the cable connecting the boot sensor to the alarm box had worn and snapped. So in hot weather it would expand and be fine but the cold weather it would shrink and cause the alarm to go off and all times of the day and night!

My problem is an odd one as it has happened about 6 times in as many weeks. Always first thing in the morning and regardless of weather. :confused:

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Alarm going off Intermittently whilst driving!

Weird. Sorry to drag this post up again (proves I'm using the search though:) )

This happened to me for the very first time today. I'd unlocked the car then about to drive off then the alarm keeps going off, turn the engine on/off and then it stops momentarily I drive off..then whilst driving the alarm is going off..really annoying and embarrassing...Popped it into the dealers anyway they're looking at it next week as its not even a year old yet!

RichRiley

Alarm going off randomly...

Hi, did a search and seen your post about alarm

What was causing your problem with the alarm going off, did the dealer get to the bottom of it?

I've got an 03 LCR and I started having problems with my alarm about 2 weeks ago. It started with the alarm going off at random when I was driving, at first I just thought it was a one off and took the keys out and unlocked and carried on, I didn't think much about it but then it started happening more frequently.

Now a couple of weeks later, when I start the engine about 10 secs after the doors lock and the alarm activates (the red light on the door flashes) then as soon as you move the alarm goes off. The engine still runs and if you leave it 3 or 4 minutes the alarm goes off but not ideal especially when leaving for work at 07:00am!!

Car has been in Seat for 3 days last week but they couldn't find problem.

Have searched and read posts, I've checked boot sensor but all seems ok no leaks, not sure where to go next with it ....

Rich

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.