7 months with leon cupra 300 st...

Mar 15, 2019
Hi,

I'm aware that there are a lot of Seat brand fans here and I might not be popular with my opinions about this car.Lets start with positives.

-Design. I like front of the car and overall it is looking good and it is not eye catching making it a perfect sleeper.
I don't get to much attention from police unlike my previous car from couple of years ago (Subaru Impreza STI)
-Seats looks great as well.
- Adaptive suspension as a standard feature

Negatives.

-Rear bumper with plastic around reg looks cheap.
-Exhaust pipes are not impressive.
-Exhaust is quiet compare to Golf R
-Getting inside this car is awkward when you are 6'3
-Mode button is in good location unlike Golf R but when picking mode for example cupra mode next day I have to pick it again and it wont work straight away. I can press it 10 times and it wont react. It should start a car in same mode which was chosen last time.
-Sound system is quiet unless I use Bluetooth and play music from music player
-Cab plastics are poor quality

Problems

Driver seat makes squeak noise
A lot of condensation inside and with winter coming it will be a nightmare.

Economy

18-25 MPG in cupra mode usually
35-40 MPG on long motorway runs in individual mode

If I could switch it back to Golf R estate I would straight away without any regrets :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
On the bright side, the exhaust can easily be modified to make more noise (or swapped out completely). Everyone struggles to get in my MK2 cause it's lowered and I've got the seats set down to the floor... everyone just "drops" into it. So... any positives of ownership?

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Hi,

I'm aware that there are a lot of Seat brand fans here and I might not be popular with my opinions about this car.Lets start with positives.

-Design. I like front of the car and overall it is looking good and it is not eye catching making it a perfect sleeper.
I don't get to much attention from police unlike my previous car from couple of years ago (Subaru Impreza STI)

Negatives.

-Mode button is in good location unlike Golf R but when picking mode for example cupra mode next day I have to pick it again and it wont work straight away. I can press it 10 times and it wont react. It should start a car in same mode which was chosen last time.

Problems

Economy

If I could switch it back to Golf R estate I would straight away without any regrets :)
I've got a hatchback but this shouldn't make a difference for the problems you have but I don't.

Mode selection. Mine changes mode as soon as I press the button but unlike you I'm not a fan of the buttons position.
No condensation and I drive with kids and a dog in the car.
Sound system is really loud. I only use DAB but definitely no issues with it being quiet. When I use my phone I have to have the volume louder for the same output level as DAB.
No squeeks or unwanted noises.

Reactions: GordonMcC
Mar 15, 2019
I cant change anything as it is a lease vehicle. Overall I'm happy with it there are just few small issues.

Kirky so when you start your cupra and straight away you press mode button you will get a mode menu ?

I get condensation when car is parked for 10 hours :/

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I cant change anything as it is a lease vehicle. Overall I'm happy with it there are just few small issues.

Kirky so when you start your cupra and straight away you press mode button you will get a mode menu ?

I get condensation when car is parked for 10 hours :/
Yes. I always select individual before doing anything else. It remembers I'm in individual but doesn't retain the engine setting hence I have to press the button and then the mode. I hate that the button is all the way over to the left for the RHD cars and lazily not been moved.

Edit. Just to clarify I have to wait for the system to have booted past it's loading screen displaying the word CUPRA and that annoying dead pixel.

Last edited:

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Yes. I always select individual before doing anything else. It remembers I'm in individual but doesn't retain the engine setting hence I have to press the button and then the mode. I hate that the button is all the way over to the left for the RHD cars and lazily not been moved.

Edit. Just to clarify I have to wait for the system to have booted past it's loading screen displaying the word CUPRA and that annoying dead pixel.
My car is pre facelift, i have to wait till the boot screen dissapears as well. But the benefit is the car remembers my previous driving mode. Usually find myself wanting to put it in comfort/eco in the mornings after doing the last few miles home in sport the night before.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi,

Negatives.

Problems

Economy

Probably a bout right, apart from maybe the plastics. I prefer them to my dads BMW.

On the mode button, I wish it was on the steering wheel like the RS/M cars.

As for pressing it, if your battery is a bit on the low side the infotainment may have to fully reboot itself, in that case it will take a while for the driver profile to appear. If that is the case chances are your engine is cold and you need to keep it in comfort mode anyway. I know that won;t always be the case. But it will be the same for the Golf/S3/Octavia too.

Sound system, have a look at some of the settings you can increase the level of certain things (bluetooth for example).

Drivers seat squeaking, check if it is in fact the seat belt socket. Mine did on the 280 and has started doing it on the Carbon now too. Think its ever since I had the leather cleaned as part of a valet. Going to look at putting some cloth in between.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi,

Negatives.

Problems

Economy

I done a small review on my 290 yesterday, and after reading this its made me realise that i have forgot to include a couple of things in mine.

I agree about the seat squeaking and being just over 6ft I find when getting out I keep hitting the edge of the car with my shoulders

I wish the car has a Cupra button on the steering wheel.

I have read that the estate versions, ST, are quieter and costlier to sort the issue rather than a simple res delete on the hatchback.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.