312mm really worth doing ???

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Yes, but have you experienced fade with the standard brakes? I know I am old git now, but I haven't managed to get them to fade ever - not even on the track. TBH lately I think the brake lines may have aged because the initial bite is bad/inconsistent - but bigger brakes wouldn't help there.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes, but have you experienced fade with the standard brakes? I know I am old git now, but I haven't managed to get them to fade ever - not even on the track. TBH lately I think the brake lines may have aged because the initial bite is bad/inconsistent - but bigger brakes wouldn't help there.

No I never got my original brakes to fade; the improvement I found with the 312mm setup was much better bite and braking power, they really hauled the car down from speed well. They gave much more confidence in the car.

Plus they do fill the wheels out better ...
If you've got the 16" Sport alloys, the caliper sits quite tight up against the inside of the rim and the discs full up the wheel nicely !

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Well I wasn't planning on changing the calipars too, I just wanted the disks. Has anyone else done that. Is it possible?

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
Calipers, Carriers + hosing and bolts with 27k
Brand new discs and pads
Just under 200 in total.

Apsolute bargain :D once fitted will post up improvements etc.

Ive completely upgraded the front end, and new pads and discs front and rear for less than 280 pounds. Quikfit wanted 320quid odd for standard pads and discs allround alone.

For a few hours labour i think ive come out well on tops :D.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Sounds goods to me :thumbup:

Just remember to bleed the brakes properly all-round afterwards.
I use a Gunsons Eezibleed pressure bleeder, makes it an quick & easy one-man job and more effective than other methods. Doesn't cost much either. Just remember not to use normal tyre pressure with it :)

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Has anyone looked at fitting the brakes off the 3.2 quattro TT? I saw a 3.2 yesterday and the front brakes looked huuugee :-o.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
i would have thought with running 200+ bhp brembos would be your best bet! the pads and discs are good for 225 i guess... without running uprated discs and pads... (alot of the TT drivers upgrade from that though dont they?) 4POts ftw :D

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
jason I'd say yes worth it, A&C in Leek fitted mine no long ago and they bite so much better (you could pop in and ask them), I just need to get it back from my dad as he seems to like to hold on to it so I can give it a proper test.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I've not upgraded the brakes in my car as I've not felt the need to. The standard setup seem to work very well for me. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.