• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

288mm front breaks on Cupra

SkidPanD

Sep 3, 2004
....hello there all.

I'm in the process of changing my brake disks and it appears that I've got a bit of an odd setup. I've been out with the tape measure and it looks as if I've got 288mm front disks.....but cupra (non-R) should be 312mm right?

Is it that case that I've got one of these dodgy ex-import 20vT Sport models that were imported from Europe in 2001?

Also, if you've got 288 fronts, what rears are you running....mine look quite small.

Cheers all!!!

:drive2:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
my imported cupra has 312mm front brakes..... but mine was imported UK spec so i suppose its different?

SkidPanD

Sep 3, 2004
I think it's UK-ish... it's not got electric adj. seats (manual up/down with a leaver)... what's the other differences on a 01 Y-plate?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think 'all' cupra's had them no matter what. sounds more like someone's had a crunch & that's what was to hand.

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
SkidPanD said:
I think it's UK-ish... it's not got electric adj. seats (manual up/down with a leaver)... what's the other differences on a 01 Y-plate?
pls tell of tell tale signs of iit bein imported, ive got a 2001 y reg and the though never crossed my mind it could be an import:scary: :scary: so any info would be helpfull so i can check:confused: :confused: :scary:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
imports are usually slightly higher spec versions of the same car.
My import had leather, electric seats, and had the central front armrest as std.

I never found out mine was an import until I owned it for 3 months. Then had to contact previous owner for the CoC (certificate of conformity) to prove it was a UK spec car and therefore no different on insurance docs.

EDIT: Also, I don't have a boot build sticker for paint code, and my v5 was wrong (apparently it was an ibiza and didnt have the engine code on it)

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
Pabs said:
imports are usually slightly higher spec versions of the same car.
My import had leather, electric seats, and had the central front armrest as std.

I never found out mine was an import until I owned it for 3 months. Then had to contact previous owner for the CoC (certificate of conformity) to prove it was a UK spec car and therefore no different on insurance docs.

EDIT: Also, I don't have a boot build sticker for paint code, and my v5 was wrong (apparently it was an ibiza and didnt have the engine code on it)
sounds like mines british then cheers mate stopped my heart from racin:D i hope

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
weren't the early uk cupra's high spec ones?hence the higher price? reduced later on and de-specced,but should have the 312mm fronts,solid rears though.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i think what i was trying to say is I thought there was a difference between being built to UK spec and being converted to UK spec....

For example - my seat rails are LHD, but my seats are RHD seats.

EDIT:

Also, if you have an import but don't have a CoC, then it'll cause problems with insurance companies.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.