Leon Cupra project “The Black Mamba” 800++ HP 1.8t build(engine assembly page 9)

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
The car is a 2002 Leon Cupra we did not get any Cupra R models in Israel therefore the first part of the project is going to be modifying the Cupra and turning it into a real Cupra R we only got the Cupra model 4X4 180 hp Leon in 2002 so it’s also actually a rare and sourced after car
First step was the brakes I guess safety comes first when your planning on building a powerful car
I just installed a set of B7 RS4 8 pot brake kit with 365 mm discs together with 18” Type M wheels to snug over the brakes and Toyo R888 225/40/18 tires (wheels where the only ones I could get to fit over the brakes in 18”)

brembors4002.jpg

brembors4003.jpg

brembors4008.jpg

brembors4027-1.jpg

brembors4029.jpg

brembors4028.jpg

brembors4031.jpg

brembors4033.jpg

Last edited:

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Next step I sourced out a set of front suspension arms spindles and hubs from an Audi TT quarto these are exactly same as the Cupra R’s (they came only on the TT Cupra R and R32) as you can see the spindles have a longer neck locating the ball joint lower this was done to improve the geometry of the suspension making the car more stable
The LCA is forged steel and has solid bushings unlike the flimsy sheet metal original LCA this improves the overall fell of the car making it much tighter also the ball joint and wheel hub bearing are more massive than the original ones this should also add to a better overall fell of the car

brembors4019.jpg

brembors4020.jpg

brembors4023.jpg

brembors4022.jpg

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Next I installed a set of KW V3 coilover kit to complete the first upgrade to the handling of the car next to com is antirollbars and strut brace
I’m building a special brace for the rear will post as soon as I finish it also need to install a set of rear adjustable control arm

coiloverv3001.jpg

coiloverv3005.jpg

coiloverv3007.jpg

coiloverv3006.jpg

coiloverv3010.jpg

coiloverv3013.jpg

coiloverv3012.jpg

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Started work on the intercooler kit I’m building together with a SEM intake manifold for the car intercooler is 24X12X3.5
I needed to build a completely new front brace to hold the intercooler because first of all the intercooler is too big to be mounted behind the original brace and also I have the piping running towards the top of the intercooler so they clear over the fog lights so I can keep them in place I have also almost finished fabrication of the piping only needs welding but forgot to take pics so I won’t have them up until the next time I take the bumper of to have everything installed for final fitting and final welding of the intercooler piping
also cut off the license plate and cut and shaped a new honeycomb grill to replace the original one
Hopefully will finish this off next month I’m going away on my honeymoon to the Caribbean’s for a month so stay tuned for updates

leonbodykit002.jpg

intercooler007.jpg

intercooler009.jpg

intercooler011.jpg

intercooler013.jpg

intercooler014.jpg

intercooler016.jpg

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thank you for posting this up, will be good to see the progress.

You obviously mean business with this build thread, nice to see you are going about it the same way I would, braking and suspension first then onto more power.
Do you plan to change the rear differential or fit and uprated Audi specification one?
What will you do about the gear box as the power your planning on running will destroy the OEM one?

More pictures and words please.

Hope you honeymoon goes well

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Yes I have been waiting for some parts and semester brake which is in a few more weeks to have the time to complete the intercooler and LCR body kit
Also if all goes well engine will be going in the car in the summer if I get everything finished

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Some updates

Got some parts back from the powder coated today I will start off with the SEM manifold in matt black
I didn’t get it flake mat black because then it would be a b**** to keep clean

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Also got the LCR intercooler brace I build powder coated as well
If anyone wants one of these baby’s let me know I personally CAD sketch all of the custom parts I build myself for ease of reproduction

IMG_1643.jpg

built a honeycomb front grill
I took the bottom grill I had left over (because I’m using another grill so the intercooler is exposed more)to do the mesh
The frame of the grill is the original grill from an LCR I then cut and glued the parts together and painted in black

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

SNC00030.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

Stay tuned for intercooler install at the beginning of April (only time I have off to do it in)
And LED tail lights in a matter of a couple of weeks

Last edited:

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
Ok LCR body kit has been sent to paint should be back on Monday but unfortunately I won’t have time to install it till next month because I’m back to university on Tuesday
Intercooler was sent out to get anodized black by a friend of mine and some of the intercooler piping is being welded as we speak to save time

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.