• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

2.0 tdi FR engine is occasionally cutting out for a fraction of a second and needs a bit of turning over to start half the time. No fault codes.

Oct 8, 2024
Cheers guys. Had a look at the pins and all seems good. Can it have an intermittent fault without throwing a code? Will look to replace asap

Oct 4, 2024
I’ve just had a feel of all my boost pipes and they seem ok, only if a code did show it would be an easy fix😵💫. It’s in the garage next door to my house next Friday and will mention crankshaft sensor from this thread. It isn’t that often but I’ve noticed it happens when the car gets to 90c on the coolant gauge almost every time it’s happed.

lets hope I haven’t bought a potato 🥔
An update on this from my situation I have replaced my old crankshaft sensor today. It a bit of a pain to get it out and back in securely and I had to remove the oil filter housing to get to it so did an oil change too. The old and new sensor side by side in pictures. I took the car out for a drive and seems slightly better to pick up on acceleration and didn’t encounter the power cut at all. Hoping that this has solved it but if it hasn’t at least I know the other sensors are easier to get too ! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    613.6 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: SuperV8
Oct 4, 2024
An update on this from my situation I have replaced my old crankshaft sensor today. It a bit of a pain to get it out and back in securely and I had to remove the oil filter housing to get to it so did an oil change too. The old and new sensor side by side in pictures. I took the car out for a drive and seems slightly better to pick up on acceleration and didn’t encounter the power cut at all. Hoping that this has solved it but if it hasn’t at least I know the other sensors are easier to get too ! 😂
Can confirm all fixed and was crank sensor 👍🏼

Oct 4, 2024
ok, how severe was your cutting out? just a hiccup or full on cutout/stall?
When you took the oil filter housing off did you also fit new gaskets?
Car just would cut all engine power for about a second on acceleration then continue as normal and jerk the car - it didn’t show any other symptoms but was running abit rough post changing I noticed it’s much smoother.

no I didn’t take the whole housing off, I just took the cap off for the oil filter and replaced the rubber seals when I changed over the filter. They come in the box. I don’t think you need to do an oil change you can just put a new one in and top up the oil if you wanted.

Reactions: SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Car just would cut all engine power for about a second on acceleration then continue as normal and jerk the car - it didn’t show any other symptoms but was running abit rough post changing I noticed it’s much smoother.

no I didn’t take the whole housing off, I just took the cap off for the oil filter and replaced the rubber seals when I changed over the filter. They come in the box. I don’t think you need to do an oil change you can just put a new one in and top up the oil if you wanted.
ah, so you managed to change the crank shaft sensor with only removing the filter & filter cover? and not removing the whole oil filter housing/bracket - any advice as I looked at doing this but struggled with access.

Oct 4, 2024
ah, so you managed to change the crank shaft sensor with only removing the filter & filter cover? and not removing the whole oil filter housing/bracket - any advice as I looked at doing this but struggled with access.
Yes it’s very tight I had to use my phone camera to see what I was doing. I bought a set of long hex attachments 3/8” drive from Wilco to get to the 4 mm hex screw.
you want to be able to stand under the car as laying down under the car will just make it even more difficult.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes it’s very tight I had to use my phone camera to see what I was doing. I bought a set of long hex attachments 3/8” drive from Wilco to get to the 4 mm hex screw.
you want to be able to stand under the car as laying down under the car will just make it even more difficult.
nice, thanks, i'll try again! See if I can use the 2 poster at work - rather than on my back at a jaunty angle on my drive!
Did you remove the fan cowl? or just the filter bowl? sorry for all the questions.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
nice, thanks, i'll try again! See if I can use the 2 poster at work - rather than on my back at a jaunty angle on my drive!
Did you remove the fan cowl? or just the filter bowl? sorry for all the questions.

Answer my own question!

Oct 8, 2024
Hey, don’t suppose you have a link for the part. Pretty sure it’s the issue I have.

Don’t suppose you have the part number to hand?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
There are a few different parts numbers depending on your engine/year.

My impulse crank sensor for example, on my 2015 184 CUPA engine is 04L906433B

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)