• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Turbo oil leak please help

ManchesterLad

Sep 15, 2016
Hi all. Im in need of some advice if anyone can help. I blew my turbo by not changing the oil for too long. Its a leon mk3 fr 2.0 tdi. The turbo was refurbished and refittted. When i picked it up i was told the car had an oil leak. After inspection i found that the injector seals had gone and needed replacement as oil was pooling up in the injector wells. Had that done plus the rocker cover gasket at the same time but oil was still leaking. After many times looking ive figured it out that its leaking from the top of the turbo. Theres a small hole on top of the turbo next to a little bolt under the actuator. The hole is full of oil so i cleaned it out, started the car up and watched it fill up again. The holes about the size of a peanut and it filled up in about 3 minutes. Cant tell if its coming from the hole, the bolt next to it or somewhere else nearby on the turbo. The hole is right below the turbo actuator. You have to look at an angle from the side to see it and shine a light. Anyone know how to fix this or what the holes for. I can also hear a hissing noise coming from around the turbo when the cars running. Any help would be very very much appreciated. Thanks

ManchesterLad

Sep 15, 2016
Hi thanks for your reply. Heres the pics i managed to get. Are these ok. It shows the hole the oils coming from right in the middle of the picture

Attachments

• 20241008_152650.jpg
    20241008_152650.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20241008_152646.jpg
    20241008_152646.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 41

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I would say there is something missing from that hole.
Can't see anything from the parts diagram that goes in the hole:

1728459104322.png

These are some of the turbo part numbers for various engine codes. I would find your and search for images to see if you can see the missing bolt/fitting.

04L 253 010 KCRVA, CRVC
04L 253 010 JCRGA
04L 253 010 BCKFC,CRMB CRLB,CRBC, CRLD
04L 253 010 HCUNA,CUPA

ManchesterLad

Sep 15, 2016
Is this the hole where the oil is leaking?

View attachment 44814
Hi yes thats the hole im talking about. It fills with oil and overflows in about 2 minutes. Was wondering if there should be a sensor missing from there which would be unbeleivable considering ive just had the turbo refurbed. Theres a sensor on the diagram ( parr 39) but not sure if thats where its saying it goes.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi yes thats the hole im talking about. It fills with oil and overflows in about 2 minutes. Was wondering if there should be a sensor missing from there which would be unbeleivable considering ive just had the turbo refurbed. Theres a sensor on the diagram ( parr 39) but not sure if thats where its saying it goes.
39 is the exhaust temperature sensor - don't think it would be that - as that is a long metal sensor and would be obvious if it was not connected up.
Something clearly isn't right - something should go in that hole! - so I would get the garage who fitted the Turbo to sort the leak.

ManchesterLad

Sep 15, 2016
39 is the exhaust temperature sensor - don't think it would be that - as that is a long metal sensor and would be obvious if it was not connected up.
Something clearly isn't right - something should go in that hole! - so I would get the garage who fitted the Turbo to sort t

Something clearly isn't right - something should go in that hole! - so I would get the garage who fitted the Turbo to sort the leak.
I cant get hold of the guy that refurbed it which is why im in this situation. I havent a clue what to do

ManchesterLad

Sep 15, 2016
Someone on live chat said it should be a water pipe as this turbo is water cooled but that doesnt make sense to me ss oil is seeping out. What do you think. My engine code is ckfc

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Ok, so this should be your Turbo part number:

I would search for images of this turbo 04L253010B - to try to pin point your hole - and what could go in there?

ManchesterLad

Sep 15, 2016
Ok, so this should be your Turbo part number:

I would search for images of this turbo 04L253010B - to try to pin point your hole - and what could go in there?
Ive managed to see the guy who refurbed the turbo. Hes fixed it now. It was just s small blanking off bolt. He took off the actuator and breather hose, undid the bolt, cleaned it up and put lock tite and ptfe on it then screwed it back on. Oil leak seems to be gone now. Woohoo. At last. Lost about 2 litres of oil from it over the last few weeks. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Walone and SuperV8
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.