• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

2.0 tdi FR engine is occasionally cutting out for a fraction of a second and needs a bit of turning over to start half the time. No fault codes.

Apr 21, 2023
Hey guys,

Sorry for reviving an old thread. This is the only forum thread that describes something similar that I am currently experiencing with my 2015 A3 8V 2.0 TDI 184.

It happens so randomly, I'd be driving around with light throttle applied and the engine would just very briefly drop out (not turn off) and then the revs would return according to how much throttle was applied. With a harder acceleration this causes a very violent jerk, on slower speeds it's like a hiccup (kinda like what the OP describes). I had the long turn over happen once but it was this winter and it was very cold so I assumed that had something to do with it.

I did a quick scan with Carista and it showed a cam position sensor error under the ABS group (?!). I (stupidly) cleared that error, and no there are no more faults. VCDS shows also shows no fault codes.

What do you guys think this could be? Did the OP NeilW13 solve this issue?

That is exactly what mine was doing!
The crank sensor got covered in detritus from the clutch, so it would drop out quite often, sometimes very violently as you say.

I've not had any more issues with it running in around 2000 miles now....apart from the clutch release bearing starting to get noisey (prob the main cause of the clutch dust on the sensor!)

Reactions: SuperV8

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
Sorry for the thread revival !

Mine was doing the whole Hiccup thing at higher revs , made speedy progress very frustrating (2.0TDI) and used this thread as a guide, so thank you all.

With mine it ended up being the Crank position sensor. Not so much a fault with the sensor (though it was changed while it was out), more that it was covered in metallic 'dust' from the clutch, causing a miscommunication in the timing. Hall effect type sensors do not like being dirty!

I hope this goes on to help someone else.
Did it completely solve your problems? How much was it to fix it?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Doesn't look too bad to remove. SEAT call it an 'Engine speed sender' G28.

View attachment 36705
View attachment 36706

Did my oil/filter service yesterday - and while 'in-there' I had a look at removing this crank sensor for a clean! Well very difficult access - that drawing doesn't do it justice!

A comment on the youtube video linked say's its a 4mm allen key - and they had to remove oil filter housing for better access and even then was very difficult needing a mirror. I could barley feel it with 1 finger tip - it is really deep in there.

# just to add - I wasn't able to take it out - but I was a little tight for time.

Oct 4, 2024
Hi guys, did any of you get this issue solved as there seems to be no definitive answer. In having exactly the same issues as described and hopefully can get sorted rather than pay garage to sort it if I can.
Thanks
Sam

Apr 21, 2023
Hi guys, did any of you get this issue solved as there seems to be no definitive answer. In having exactly the same issues as described and hopefully can get sorted rather than pay garage to sort it if I can.
Thanks
Sam
Hi Fraggi. I did get mine sorted in the end. After I had the crank sensor done, and later the clutch and flywheel, it still did it on occasion.

In the end I got pissed off with it, so stripped out all the air box and battery tray to try and get to the bottom of it....
I found that the turbo pipe wasn't anywhere near as tight as it should've been. I'm guessing it was leaking slightly on over run/boost when changing gear.
Anyway, I tightened it up fully, checked and tightened everything else, and it's not done it since. That was probably March or April 😊

Oct 4, 2024
Hi Fraggi. I did get mine sorted in the end. After I had the crank sensor done, and later the clutch and flywheel, it still did it on occasion.

In the end I got pissed off with it, so stripped out all the air box and battery tray to try and get to the bottom of it....
I found that the turbo pipe wasn't anywhere near as tight as it should've been. I'm guessing it was leaking slightly on over run/boost when changing gear.
Anyway, I tightened it up fully, checked and tightened everything else, and it's not done it since. That was probably March or April 😊
I’ve just had a feel of all my boost pipes and they seem ok, only if a code did show it would be an easy fix😵💫. It’s in the garage next door to my house next Friday and will mention crankshaft sensor from this thread. It isn’t that often but I’ve noticed it happens when the car gets to 90c on the coolant gauge almost every time it’s happed.

lets hope I haven’t bought a potato 🥔

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
I agree about the supermarket fuel. I live near the Kingsbury Fuel Depot. Until a year or two ago you could see tankers from every fuel company and supermarket filling up with BS EN 228 standard petrol and BS EN 590 standard diesel from their bulk tanks... The only difference is the premium fuels have an additive added to the delivery tanker before it fills with the fuel from the bulk tank.

As this became common knowledge, the bigger fuel companies and supermarkets have started to use Hoyer to deliver their fuel to their fuel stations. Now you mainly see Hoyer tankers queueing up to get their fuel from the bulk tanks. The big fuel companies had to do this to justify their higher prices.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My son had this sort of issue on his 184TDi

We found the issue by chance.
He had the engine running and went around wiggling the wires going in to all the connectors.

As soon as I wiggled the wires going in to the pressure sensor - the engine stuttered slightly.

The final fix was to slightly bend the three pins in the fuel rail pressure sensor connector so they made stronger contact with the connector pins.

Oct 4, 2024
My son had this sort of issue on his 184TDi

We found the issue by chance.
He had the engine running and went around wiggling the wires going in to all the connectors.

As soon as I wiggled the wires going in to the pressure sensor - the engine stuttered slightly.

The final fix was to slightly bend the three pins in the fuel rail pressure sensor connector so they made stronger contact with the connector pins.
Will give it a go tomorrow 👍🏼

Oct 8, 2024
I have an ongoing issue 2.0 tdi which seems like the majority on this thread.
While driving at speed my revs seem to drop sporadically and not when changing gear.
Sometimes when accelerating from a fairly slow speed the car jerks a few times then returns to normal.
The worst of the issues is when slowing down on approach to junctions the car will switch off.
No warning codes on the ECU
Fuel filter has been changed
Turbo/engine been flushed to get rid of carbon
please help

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have an ongoing issue 2.0 tdi which seems like the majority on this thread.
While driving at speed my revs seem to drop sporadically and not when changing gear.
Sometimes when accelerating from a fairly slow speed the car jerks a few times then returns to normal.
The worst of the issues is when slowing down on approach to junctions the car will switch off.
No warning codes on the ECU
Fuel filter has been changed
Turbo/engine been flushed to get rid of carbon
please help
Fuel rail pressure sensor? Could be worth it for £40 and see what happens.

Oct 8, 2024
Fuel rail pressure sensor? Could be worth it for £40 and see what happens.
Will give it a go. It easy to do? I disconnected the MAF and had a look at that but seemed to be alright once I plugged it back in it seemed a bit worse so took it out and cleaned it and got better slightly then went back to its old ways.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Will give it a go. It easy to do? I disconnected the MAF and had a look at that but seemed to be alright once I plugged it back in it seemed a bit worse so took it out and cleaned it and got better slightly then went back to its old ways.
Yeah - pretty straight forward. Sounds like your MAF might be a bit tempermental. Worth changing that first?

Oct 4, 2024
I had an issue with mine effectively stalling at low revs. I think I got a fault code so I changed the fuel rail pressure sensor and it seemed to fix it. Not a bad DIY job to do. Hope you get it fixed.
Update on my situation, I’ve bought a vcds tool and have been looking at my values under camshaft rpm, crankshaft rpm, fuel injected deviation, and fuel rail pressure sensor.
all injectors are within spec so assume the fuel pump is ok and no metal shavings in the injectors👍🏼 the crankshaft and camshaft rpms look to be reading perfectly cam is 2x crank. The fuel pressure sensor is fluctuating like crazy so I think you are correct and I will give this a go first !
Il try upload video of readings in link provided. https://youtube.com/shorts/strf7IzAeV0?si=gfYyJZ26nBPRa_k5

Reactions: BillyCool

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Update on my situation, I’ve bought a vcds tool and have been looking at my values under camshaft rpm, crankshaft rpm, fuel injected deviation, and fuel rail pressure sensor.
all injectors are within spec so assume the fuel pump is ok and no metal shavings in the injectors👍🏼 the crankshaft and camshaft rpms look to be reading perfectly cam is 2x crank. The fuel pressure sensor is fluctuating like crazy so I think you are correct and I will give this a go first !
Il try upload video of readings in link provided. https://youtube.com/shorts/strf7IzAeV0?si=gfYyJZ26nBPRa_k5
Give the fuel pressure sensor pins a tweek first before you buy a sensor.
That is what fixed my sons car.
If it is the pins - a new sensor will act the same.

Reactions: SuperV8 and Faggy31
Oct 8, 2024
Give the fuel pressure sensor pins a tweek first before you buy a sensor.
That is what fixed my sons car.
If it is the pins - a new sensor will act the same.
Thanks for the advice. Got any pics where the sensor is located? Im a fairly new to this haha

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Following 👆🏻
Left side of the fuel rail. Quite easy to get to.

1728458254999.png

Reactions: SuperV8
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.