• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.
Oct 1, 2024
I changed my power steering pump yesterday as I’ve had an intermittent power steering problem where the light would come on and the steering go stiff, usually when I’m driving. I changed the pump but the light has stayed on and the steering is still stiff, is this a matter of coding or something else as I haven’t coded the pump to my car yet as I haven’t got the software to do so. Any help would be appreciated!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
There are two types of steering angle sensors, one in the steering wheel usually for cars with ESP, and another in the steering rack for cars without ESP, if you have a cable connected to the 3 connectors in the pump you have a G85 sensor , if only two you have a G250 sensor

coding should be:
X01XX for G250
X12XX for G85

it should be someting like 10111 or 11211...

you should have the pump coded for the wrong sensor, hence the light because it cant find the sensor

Reactions: shnthms1
Oct 1, 2024
There are two types of steering angle sensors, one in the steering wheel usually for cars with ESP, and another in the steering rack for cars without ESP, if you have a cable connected to the 3 connectors in the pump you have a G85 sensor , if only two you have a G250 sensor

coding should be:
X01XX for G250
X12XX for G85

you should have the pump coded for the wrong sensor, hence the light because it cant find the sensor

coding should be:
X01XX for G250
X12XX for G85

I do still need it coded to get rid of the light however, I’ve just started up my car now and there’s a loud noise coming from the pump. The steering feels light now apart from when I’m turning slowly but this is still considerably lighter than before. I’m not sure where the noise is coming from, is it the pump trying to bleed the fluid into the system or have I installed it wrong?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
when the coding is wrong the pump is always running at idle ~1000rpm, when everything is coding correctly the pump rpm increase up to 4000rpm according to the steering wheel movement and speed of the car, the lower the speed of the car the higher rpm is necessary for a effortless driving experience.

post the noise, there could be air in the system and got out, I dont know.
check fluid levels, there is not much you can install wrong. check if the hoses are secured correctly, I had a noise once because there is one plastic bracked that secures the hoses middle way between the pump and the steering rack, and was not properly closed and the hose was resonating against metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: shnthms1
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.