Headlights low beam indicator?

Sep 21, 2024
Hi all,
I was retrofitting the automatic low beams and wanted to know if there is any clear indicator that the low beams are on. Some cars have an explicit indicator on the dash, but the Leon mk3 does not it seems. I saw that the speedometer brightness changes, but it’s a bit hard to see sometimes. Is there any explicit indicator that the low beams are on, even on the dash screen? Is there a way to program this using obeleven?
Thank you

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Hi all,
I was retrofitting the automatic low beams and wanted to know if there is any clear indicator that the low beams are on. Some cars have an explicit indicator on the dash, but the Leon mk3 does not it seems. I saw that the speedometer brightness changes, but it’s a bit hard to see sometimes. Is there any explicit indicator that the low beams are on, even on the dash screen? Is there a way to program this using obeleven?
Thank you
The low beam indicator is on the headlight switch itself. The symbols around the switch are illuminated and light up when the respective function is on.

Sent from my 23113RKC6G using Tapatalk

Reactions: 64bittz
Sep 21, 2024
The low beam indicator is on the headlight switch itself. The symbols around the switch are illuminated and light up when the respective function is on.

Thank you for the fast reply.
Then mine might not be working correctly as only the daylight lights are green, while the low beam symbol is always red as the background whatever i do. I’ll take sone pictures as soon as i get on my car. Do you have any picture of how it would look like?

cairus

Jun 4, 2024
So the low beam symbol on the Leon 5F does not light up in the switch or the speedometer. I have 2 of these cars in the Carport. The same with the Octavia 3

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Then mine might not be working correctly as only the daylight lights are green, while the low beam symbol is always red as the background whatever i do. I’ll take sone pictures as soon as i get on my car. Do you have any picture of how it would look like?

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing the daylight lights (or sidelights / parking lights) symbol illuminated in green ‘Auto’ position in orange and all other symbols illuminated in red, so yours sounds as if it’s working correctly. Here‘s a YouTube video of a VW Caddy van where the owner has installed the auto light switch. If you fast forward to 7 minutes 50 seconds in the video you can see the switch illuminated;

In my VW, the heater controls and the buttons on the steering wheel also illuminate when the headlamps have switched themselves on, which is another way of checking if the lights are on during dull / daylight hours.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I went to my car to take some photos but I just realized I always thought that the green-lit symbol was the low beam indicator but it was parking lights! As you said low beam symbol never changes color. Sorry for the wrong answer. I actually find this setup awkward since the day I bought my car three and a half years ago; some light indicators are on the switch, some of them are on the dashboard, why separate them like this, instead of putting them all in the same place? Anyway, sorry again, if I misled you & cheers.

Sep 21, 2024
There are lots of videos on YouTube showing the daylight lights (or sidelights / parking lights) symbol illuminated in green ‘Auto’ position in orange and all other symbols illuminated in red, so yours sounds as if it’s working correctly. Here‘s a YouTube video of a VW Caddy van where the owner has installed the auto light switch. If you fast forward to 7 minutes 50 seconds in the video you can see the switch illuminated;

In my VW, the heater controls and the buttons on the steering wheel also illuminate when the headlamps have switched themselves on, which is another way of checking if the lights are on during dull / daylight hours.
Oh thank you. It does indeed work like that in my car. Terrible design choice
I went to my car to take some photos but I just realized I always thought that the green-lit symbol was the low beam indicator but it was parking lights! As you said low beam symbol never changes color. Sorry for the wrong answer. I actually find this setup awkward since the day I bought my car three and a half years ago; some light indicators are on the switch, some of them are on the dashboard, why separate them like this, instead of putting them all in the same place? Anyway, sorry again, if I misled you & cheers.

No worries at all. I also don’t know why the parking lights are there, since they are basically the same as the 0 position, only that they stay on after you turn the car off. That annoying ding sound isn’t pleasant as well. Having to rely on ambient lighting is such a stupid setup

Reactions: serdar_18fr

ViperSlider

Mar 26, 2024
Cardiff, S.Wales
Following up on this, there is a super clear and easy way to know when the dipped beams come on when in "Auto" (excuse the state of my car, I've mangled my back so not been able to clean it for 2 weeks LOL)

Dipped beams off

PXL_20240928_154622574.jpg

Dipped beams on

PXL_20240926_160642665.jpg

This is during the day and as you can see, easily spotted.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Following up on this, there is a super clear and easy way to know when the dipped beams come on when in "Auto" (excuse the state of my car, I've mangled my back so not been able to clean it for 2 weeks LOL)

As a long term bad back sufferer for many years, I hope yours gets better soon 🤞.

In the VW’s I’ve owned with auto headlamps, the buttons on the steering wheel and the heater controls also illuminate (in red), so it’s easy to spot when the lights are on during daylight hours - IMHO easier than having to look down to the rotary light switch which is lower down on the dashboard.

My current (non-VAG) car has a green headlamp symbol in the instrument display which IMHO is better 🙂.

Reactions: ViperSlider
Sep 21, 2024

Dipped beams off

View attachment 44699

Dipped beams on

View attachment 44700

You’re right, it’s easy to see.
As a long term bad back sufferer for many years, I hope yours gets better soon 🤞.

In the VW’s I’ve owned with auto headlamps, the buttons on the steering wheel and the heater controls also illuminate (in red), so it’s easy to spot when the lights are on during daylight hours - IMHO easier than having to look down to the rotary light switch which is lower down on the dashboard.

My current (non-VAG) car has a green headlamp symbol in the instrument display which IMHO is better 🙂.
While you are totally right, that part of the car is poorly illuminated even during the day, so that you can see the backlight on the icons easier than the controls on the wheel.Both are doable, the light selector has just more contrast.
The opel corsa i drove before getting the Leon had the green low beam indicator where all other indicators are. Much better indeed

Sep 21, 2024

Dipped beams off

View attachment 44699

Dipped beams on

View attachment 44700

Also, what does that little square rectangle do on the left side of the picture? I don’t think mine has it

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise