2.Tfsi Cupra - Won't start - Advice needed

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Drove the car yesterday afternoon, everything was fine. I've come out this morning and i just get a click on the key very much like a flat battery but the battery is fine. Tried a jump to rule it out anyway and no joy. Where do i start?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Afriad i dont know the answer but

Do you have access to a scan tool that could tell you if there are any codes being shown (might help to narrow down issue).

Have you checked all the connections to the starter motor (as I am guessing its not engaging)

Is the Car a manual or DSG

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
I have a really basic one yeah. But normally if there were any ECU error codes you'd have a mgmt light on. I'll check anyway. I did give the starter a tap thinking maybe the starter clutch wasn't engaging....

It's a manual btw.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I can only go by my motor and I get lots of codes that dont give dashboard warning but it dont cost to have a look.

If its a manual are you able to bump start the car (not even sure if you are supposed to do that anymore) but the issue (if I have understood it correctly) is the car is just not even trying to start the engine which i would be looking at battery (you have already dont) or Starter motor (is it engaging) or the wiring between the two. But I would stress I am no expert in your motor or this sort of issue I am afraid.

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
SHort story is - battery voltage was all good reading close to 13. Couldn't get in to give the starter motor a real good tap as there is no clearance but got a neighbour to help me give the car a really good rock whilst in gear and it then started. So looks like a sticky starter clutch. Going to have little look from underneath as still could also be a loose/ corroded earth.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
SHort story is - battery voltage was all good reading close to 13. Couldn't get in to give the starter motor a real good tap as there is no clearance but got a neighbour to help me give the car a really good rock whilst in gear and it then started. So looks like a sticky starter clutch. Going to have little look from underneath as still could also be a loose/ corroded earth.
Sometimes when starters start to fail , it will only be when it stops in a certain spot on the motor. Like you say, check for loose connections first, but if not then it could be the motor itself seeing as it started after rocking it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.