Leon FR PHEW prices

Jul 21, 2024
Any thoughts as to why the Leon FR hybrid secondhand prices are quite a bit cheaper than a non hybrid model for the same year ?
Thanks

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
Well if you are like me, I won't touch a hybrid / EV car and would be very worried about potential costs in future years ownership if anything goes wrong with batteries and such.

Perhaps they are lower to factor this in?

I wouldn't want an electric vehicle that's out of warranty myself.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2024
Hi there,

That's basically what I was thinking Adam, althougth I do tend to change my vehicle once its warranty has expired, did have an Ateca with All in One, got rid of that after the 6years was up.

So L was thinking if I purchase a 2023 FR Sport, I could then extend its 3 year warranty until 2028, presumably its high voltage battery is covered ?
Thinking I would have got a 2023 plate car at a 2022 price and made a nice £ saving and a years less mileage. :unsure:

I have checked through Seat's servicing plans for Leons but cannot find any references to hybrid vehicles spec and their difference in servicing.

The only slight added expense I know off is Insurance, apparently they like to add on about 10% to insure these.

Reactions: adamski310

adamski310

Jul 6, 2024
I'm similar, in that I tend to change cars every 2/3 years. Decided I'm going to keep this one and modify it though (once the warranty is done) as not much out there that I want and with the world turning to batteries, I will stick with this for as long as possible.

No idea on the servicing side of things. I just hear and read of issues with hybrids and plug in cars that end up being scrapped if batteries / chargers or things like that go wrong. I also think the second hand market for EVs is dire and you see some very expensive electric motors a year or two old that have lost a lot of value. Not sure what the value of a hybrid / EV will be in the future once it's 5/6/7/8 years old...I'd hazard a guess at not a fat lot.

As a company car, yeah sure ..not my problem or issue if it's knackered or worth £2.5 in the future but as a private car..I am not willing to spend £30k on one.

Jul 21, 2024
I suppose in this particular Leon hybrid if the battery completely fails, why bother getting a replacement battery, you could just drive using the engine, mind you there's the weight of a dead battery your carrying around.

Shoveitpusher

Jan 7, 2023
I’d be interested what issues you are referring to, the old ev’s had issues in old age, but the previous gen gte golfs are still running. Technology moves so fast that what was true in the last gen is not in a couple of years. Control technology has evolved hugely to protect batteries.
im told the biggest battery killer is fast charging, which these hybrids don’t do,
I think the biggest risk is the overall electronics, both hv and lv, which is why I too like to keep a warranty active. My last 2 vag cars went due to electrical issues.
I do worry about deep water, visions of stopping in a ford with stunned fish rising around the car!
I just checked autotrader and my car is about where I’d expect it to be at nearly 4 years old

Jul 21, 2024
I take the point about fast chargers, I know from experience that on battery powered tools using a fast charger to charge the batteries lessens the life of the batteries, so made sure that I purchased a charger that does not charge at such rate. I notice, reading the owners handbook, that you can set what rate of charge you want to charge the battery.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi there,

That's basically what I was thinking Adam, althougth I do tend to change my vehicle once its warranty has expired, did have an Ateca with All in One, got rid of that after the 6years was up.

So L was thinking if I purchase a 2023 FR Sport, I could then extend its 3 year warranty until 2028, presumably its high voltage battery is covered ?
Thinking I would have got a 2023 plate car at a 2022 price and made a nice £ saving and a years less mileage. :unsure:

I have checked through Seat's servicing plans for Leons but cannot find any references to hybrid vehicles spec and their difference in servicing.

The only slight added expense I know off is Insurance, apparently they like to add on about 10% to insure these.

@Stepdey - Whether or not the battery would be covered would depend on the terms and conditions of the extended warranty, so it would always be worth checking the small print of the warranty to be sure what the cover is on the battery, as that might influence your decision on whether or not to purchase the car.

Interestingly, under Seat’s new car factory warranty, battery energy degradation for PHEV’s is covered for five years / 100k mile, whichever occurs first. However………..that cover only applies to the first owner. If the vehicle is then sold to a subsequent owner before the 5 year / 100k mile limits are reached, there’s no battery energy degradation cover for subsequent owners - see factory warranty T&C’s at the link below. Seat have helpfully highlighted and underlined the above limitation in the T&C’s;

Shoveitpusher

Jan 7, 2023
I take the point about fast chargers, I know from experience that on battery powered tools using a fast charger to charge the batteries lessens the life of the batteries, so made sure that I purchased a charger that does not charge at such rate. I notice, reading the owners handbook, that you can set what rate of charge you want to charge the battery.
Set the rate is a bit ott, you can have slow or very slow, 3ish hrs or about 7.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Interestingly, under Seat’s new car factory warranty, battery energy degradation for PHEV’s is covered for five years / 100k mile, whichever occurs first. However………..that cover only applies to the first owner. If the vehicle is then sold to a subsequent owner before the 5 year / 100k mile limits are reached, there’s no battery energy degradation cover for subsequent owners - see factory warranty T&C’s at the link below. Seat have helpfully highlighted and underlined the above limitation in the T&C’s;

That is very interesting is this a common feature on all VAG Motors I wonder.

Jul 21, 2024
Funny that, I came across that exact Seat statement last night SRGTD.

If like my present vehicle was, I purchased it supposedly as its first owner, I think it was a main dealers test drive/courtesy/loan vehicle which was just 6 months old. So how would Seat treat me under those circumstances ? LOL Subsequent owner or first owner ?

Another point is I could purchase an extended plan covering me for a total of 6 years from new, BUT the battery is covered only 5 years!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Stepdey - Whether or not the battery would be covered would depend on the terms and conditions of the extended warranty, so it would always be worth checking the small print of the warranty to be sure what the cover is on the battery, as that might influence your decision on whether or not to purchase the car.

That is very interesting is this a common feature on all VAG Motors I wonder.

VW’s new car factory warranty has the same restriction on PHEV battery energy degradiation.

Funny that, I came across that exact Seat statement last night SRGTD.

If like my present vehicle was, I purchased it supposedly as its first owner, I think it was a main dealers test drive/courtesy/loan vehicle which was just 6 months old. So how would Seat treat me under those circumstances ? LOL Subsequent owner or first owner ?

Another point is I could purchase an extended plan covering me for a total of 6 years from new, BUT the battery is covered only 5 years!

I think if I was considering buying a dealer-registered PHEV, then I’d be looking for clarification on whether or not I was considered to be the first owner or a subsequent owner as far as warranty cover in relation to PHEV battery energy degradation is concerned. If the dealer‘s view that I would be considered to be the first owner, then I‘d want that confirmed in writing in case there were subsequent excessive degradation issues with the battery within the time and mileage limits outlined in the warranty.

However, I think that Seat (and VAG) would probably take the view that a person who buys an ex demonstrator / ex courtesy vehicle that was originally first registered in the dealer’s - or Seat’s - name, then as that person isn’t the first registered owner, they are a subsequent (the second) owner. That’s just my opinion though and I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

Jul 21, 2024
I think I can now understand as to why the prices of a "secondhand" Leon hybrid are quite a bit less £, than a same years non hybrid model, especially if its one for sale as 1 previous owner. ( possibly its battery warranty ).

I don't understand how a dealer is allowed to have a car as a demonstrator / courtesy car for some 6 months and it doesn't get "registered" when they want to sell it ?

Shoveitpusher

Jan 7, 2023
VW’s new car factory warranty has the same restriction on PHEV battery energy degradiation.

I think if I was considering buying a dealer-registered PHEV, then I’d be looking for clarification on whether or not I was considered to be the first owner or a subsequent owner as far as warranty cover in relation to PHEV battery energy degradation is concerned. If the dealer‘s view that I would be considered to be the first owner, then I‘d want that confirmed in writing in case there were subsequent excessive degradation issues with the battery within the time and mileage limits outlined in the warranty.

However, I think that Seat (and VAG) would probably take the view that a person who buys an ex demonstrator / ex courtesy vehicle that was originally first registered in the dealer’s - or Seat’s - name, then as that person isn’t the first registered owner, they are a subsequent (the second) owner. That’s just my opinion though and I’d be happy to be proved wrong.
Interesting, I am pretty sure my car was a company car for someone at Bentley, then it was a dealer car, so the dealers didn’t have battery cover as the second owner

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you had any issues with insurance at all for a hybrid model then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members