• Formentor members, we are testing a new feature requiring selection of a model year when posting - more info here
  • Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

A quick look inside the Seat/Cupra factory - constructing the Formentor.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for posting. I always enjoy a good car production process video 🙂. That factory complex is massive!

Lots of precision work going on there by the robots with the laser welding and what looks like robotised build quality checks - measuring panel fit and panel gaps. I wonder how long it takes to set up the production line for a new model to ensure the robots get it right?

I visited Ford’s Dagenham factory back in the very early 1980’s (mk5 Cortina and mk1 Fiesta production) and seem to remember there was still lots of manual processes in the assembly of car body shells at that time.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Thanks for posting. I always enjoy a good car production process video 🙂. That factory complex is massive!

Lots of precision work going on there by the robots with the laser welding and what looks like robotised build quality checks - measuring panel fit and panel gaps. I wonder how long it takes to set up the production line for a new model to ensure the robots get it right?

I visited Ford’s Dagenham factory back in the very early 1980’s (mk5 Cortina and mk1 Fiesta production) and seem to remember there was still lots of manual processes in the assembly of car body shells at that time.
That's why back then the panel gaps were big enough to get a finger in on one side and barely any gap on the other. My new Leon barely has any gap bigger than paper thickness, oh how times have changed.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Handbuilt by robots. Great video.
I remember that as the strapline for Fiat’s advertising campaign for the Fiat Strada back in the late 1970’s. Fiat’s two minute long TV commercial as part of that campaign was a great watch in its day (and still is IMHO).

IMG_0544.jpeg

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Great video, thanks! Interesting that it was on the new model Formentor too, not that much would be different from the old.

And the Hybrid does have a 'proper' 12V battery! Revealed in the underfloor boot section of the chassis just before the drivetrain / body marriage.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Did you have any doubts? I see you also have the eHybrid, so I'm puzzled... :)
Until then yes, as various threads failed to determine where it was. Some said integrated into/with the hybrid battery or other magic was producing 12V through a transformer, and the fact charging, or connecting to it is done via connection points under the bonnet. Haven't looked, but is it even accessible (to the owner) without tools and marigolds?

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
One of the first thing I look for (even before getting the car) is the Rescue Sheet - for information purposes... Here you can find the one for the PHEV Formentor: (notice that under the boot floor there's the 12 V battery and the FUEL tank, and not the HV battery contrary to what most think)
https://www.cupraofficial.com/owners/technical-support/rescue-sheets
In the picture you can see the black plastic cover of the 12V battery compartment - you'll need a M10 (or 11) spanner to remove the bolts (check for the UK/imperial equivalet of metric-10)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 14.09.43.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 14.09.43.png
    896.6 KB · Views: 40

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
The Fiat Strada. 'Designed by computer, built by robots, driven by morons'...I think that was the joke of the day.
Yep, and it was true, one of my biker mates back in the day also had a Fiat Strada and sometimes he came on runs with us in that. He would try to keep up with us on our Kawasaki's and Yamaha's and drove like a complete idiot.

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
The Fiat Strada. 'Designed by computer, built by robots, driven by morons'...I think that was the joke of the day.
I'm sure it was Not the Nine O Clock News again, it was Designed by computers, built by robots, silenced by lazers .... Driven by Italians

With a car crash carnage clip at the end.

Not T N O C N was a great show!!

Almost right ... found it

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)