• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Cupra ST, rattle box!!

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
Hi, have a 2019 MK3 Cupra ST. It has a really annoying squeak/rattle/tap that from the (RHD) driver seat appears to be from the drivers side rear three quarter/suspension area. It virtually constant,.only going away over super smooth roads. Car only done 11k and mint. Anyone had this, cured this! HELP!! Many thanks

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
yup, i had squeaking on my drivers seat. used silicone spray on it with the seat at the highest setting and set it back down. never squeaked again.

also had to put tape around the latch where the rear seats latch onto. This also made a rattling sound

now im having to clean and somewhat lube up my door seals and they make a noise when reversing. Its not alot of work though.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
yup, i had squeaking on my drivers seat. used silicone spray on it with the seat at the highest setting and set it back down. never squeaked again.

also had to put tape around the latch where the rear seats latch onto. This also made a rattling sound

now im having to clean and somewhat lube up my door seals and they make a noise when reversing. Its not alot of work though.
^^This. Check the rear seat latches

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

^^This. Check the rear seat latches

Had this on VW‘s before. Free play in rear seat latches seems to be a common source of unwanted interior noises in VAG cars. Electrical insulation tape around the seat latch is a quick, easy and cheap fix and if the rear seat back is regularly raised and lowered and the tape wears though, it takes just a couple of minutes to fit a new replacement piece of tape.

@JONNYVT - the originating source(s) of unwanted noises in a car’s interior can be quite deceptive. Quite a few owners on VW Golf forums have had what they thought were vibration / buzzing noises from the passenger side of the dashboard, when the actual noise source has been either the overhead mounted sunglasses compartment near the rear view mirror or the sliding cover for the vanity mirror in the passenger sun visor vibrating against the roof lining mounted vanity mirror light. With this in mind, I’ve found it’s always a good idea to have another person in the car who can help locate the source of the unwanted noise(s) - e.g. they can apply pressure to trim pieces in the car in the area(s) where the noise is thought to be coming from while you’re driving. It’s very difficult - if not impossible - to do this by yourself while driving, especially if the unwanted noise is thought to originate from somewhere in the rear of the car.

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Had this on VW‘s before. Free play in rear seat latches seems to be a common source of unwanted interior noises in VAG cars. Electrical insulation tape around the seat latch is a quick, easy and cheap fix and if the rear seat back is regularly raised and lowered and the tape wears though, it takes just a couple of minutes to fit a new replacement piece of tape.
They do indeed; had this issue on my MK1 Octavia hatch and B5.5 Passat Estate.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I totally agree with noise locating being a tricky problem, only yesterday, we were visiting our older daughter and in doing that returning a china clay type typical cereal bowl, I had wrapped in up in my jacket in the boot of my wife's 2015 VW Polo, I stopped by at the nearby Skoda dealership to check the price/availability of VAQ drain/fill plugs, opened the hatch to grab my jacket out and ended up with the bowl getting smashed on the ground! Picked up all the pieces and placed them in the boot, the noise of rattling about bits was definitely coming from the front passenger's footwell and absolutely no other place, as far as I could tell!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise