• Formentor members, we are testing a new feature requiring selection of a model year when posting - more info here

Testing time

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
Yesterday on the way to the Test Match I got the familiar “SOS system not working, please visit service dept”. I was using Google Maps as navigation which went totally bonkers lost telling me to do u turns down non existent roads etc. Does anyone know if the two are connected?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Yep, mine did all that when I went to Manchester Airport in mid April. I had the update to 1896 plus some other module updates in early May and it's fine now. However I do still get the speaker pops when near the airport. I guess there's some wireless interference or something.

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
I forgot to add the software is up to date, I also switched off and locked the car. I reverted to asking pedestrians for directions! One chap told me to get a satnav. Obviously not a Formentor owner.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I believe the 1896 update only covers the infotainment system. My dealer said they had to update other modules too including the GPS one. I don't know how to tell which module software update we should be on though. Probably an OBD11 thing. Might be worth asking if you've had the latest GPS update?

Reactions: Tormentor

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Were you using google maps via CarPlay?
Could you have reverted to the built in nav?

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
Yes Google maps via CarPlay and then inbuilt nav after pulling over and turning the car off. The latter was still lost. All the time the SOS warning was showing and it’s this that may have caused the problem. The SOS error is showing again today, but I’ve not tried navigation. I wonder if an AA road atlas on the parcel shelf may help!!

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Yes Google maps via CarPlay and then inbuilt nav after pulling over and turning the car off. The latter was still lost. All the time the SOS warning was showing and it’s this that may have caused the problem. The SOS error is showing again today, but I’ve not tried navigation. I wonder if an AA road atlas on the parcel shelf may help!!
Interesting , presuming the phone is using its own nav I wonder why that was lost too?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I was using Android Auto and Google Maps at the time. Both this and the built in maps went mental. Once your mobile, Apple or Android, is connected to the car it uses the cars GPS rather than its own.

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
I was using Android Auto and Google Maps at the time. Both this and the built in maps went mental. Once your mobile, Apple or Android, is connected to the car it uses the cars GPS rather than its own.
I never realised that!

Tormentor

May 3, 2021

In the “Latest software update is now 1898“ thread, it’s mentioned the Telematics Module has an update available, it needs to be done at the dealerships. I wonder if this module is the culprit?​

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I would think so. When I took mine in I had a list of all the issues and photos of the dash and infotainment screens showing the problems. It seems some dealers don't apply all possible updates which is why I made the list.
I'm sure I read on here somewhere that someone had to have a new module ordered but there was a long lead time due to chip shortages.
Hopefully yours will get sorted with an update though.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
It happened to me to get that sos msg but realised that when happening my internet signal was poor or no existent and was connected to Android Auto and Google Maps. Never happened when Android Auto was not connected.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.