SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
Hi
I have Seat Leon FR 2018 model 1.5TSI 130BHP

is this vehicle capable of having a remap in regards to capabilities and if it’s safe?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Can’t see why not. Depends how much extra hp and torque you can get from that engine with a stage 1, and whether it’d be worth it.

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
Can’t see why not. Depends how much extra hp and torque you can get from that engine with a stage 1, and whether it’d be worth it.
My engine has be detuned from factory stock I’ve been told, which should produce 180bhp instead of currently “130” BHP; is this usually the case during production?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Yeah, a lot of manufacturers do this. Most engines are capable of more. I’ve got a stage 1 on my 2L Cupra 280. Went from 276bhp to 350bhp.

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
Jesus ******* Christ!

I bet that’s a whippet.

so you reckon it should be safe then mate?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
It’s not bad. It’s how it should have come from the factory to be honest. I’d prefer it if it was 4WD though like the Golf R n S3, or Leon Cupra estates. I’d say it’d be safe to be honest if it only gonna be an extra 50 or so bhp. Who ever’s doing the remap will tell you though. If it’s a reputable person/company, they won’t do it if it’s not safe.

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
Yeah, the guy sounded legit and he’s a reputable guy to do the job.

have you got any videos on YouTube or Insta of your car?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My engine has be detuned from factory stock I’ve been told, which should produce 180bhp instead of currently “130” BHP; is this usually the case during production?
Don't know who told you this but it's false.
There are two versions of the 1.5tsi EA211evo engine with with either 130ps (96kW) or 150ps (110kW). There is NOT a 180 version.
Also the 150 version is substantially mechanically different to the 130 turbo & compression ratio to name 2x important differences;
VTG turbo vs waste gate turbo and 12.5:1 CR for the 96 kW variant and 10.5:1 for the 110 kW variant.

There are absolutely some cars which have mechanically identical engines with different power ecu tunes - Volvo D3/D4, Transporter T5, etc but this 1.5 TSI is NOT one.

I would be 'cautious' with who you pick to tune your TSI.

1659446606353.png

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
There are two versions of the 1.5tsi EA211evo engine with with either 130ps (96kW) or 150ps (110kW). There is NOT a 180 version.
Also the 150 version is substantially mechanically different to the 130 turbo & compression ratio to name 2x important differences;
VTG turbo vs waste gate turbo and 12.5:1 CR for the 96 kW variant and 10.5:1 for the 110 kW variant.

There are absolutely some cars which have mechanically identical engines with different power ecu tunes - Volvo D3/D4, Transporter T5, etc but this 1.5 TSI is NOT one.

View attachment 33089
North East Remaps

Dene Park, Esh Winning, Durham DH7 9JF
0191 375 9404 https://g.co/kgs/iwuipW

the address above is the company who I spoke to and they seemed legitimate about everything he was saying; I understand what you’re saying and the links you’ve sent to me; in regards to what he was telling me about the stock 180BHP; he said that there are variants during production which all the same from cast the difference is that they detune some cars to sell for less or leave at stock performance 180bhp depending on if delearships want to sell the car for 10k plus for an example.

he explained that there are some models that will only improve by 20bhp or jump up to 50bhp which he said in my case my car will be increased 180bhp stock performance.

Is this incorrect ?

thanks Nathan

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
I forgot to mention; they guy on the phone said the program to remap my car has only been out for 9 months that is to modify to ECU; sounds phishy to me???

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
North East Remaps

Dene Park, Esh Winning, Durham DH7 9JF
0191 375 9404 https://g.co/kgs/iwuipW

the address above is the company who I spoke to and they seemed legitimate about everything he was saying; I understand what you’re saying and the links you’ve sent to me; in regards to what he was telling me about the stock 180BHP; he said that there are variants during production which all the same from cast the difference is that they detune some cars to sell for less or leave at stock performance 180bhp depending on if delearships want to sell the car for 10k plus for an example.

he explained that there are some models that will only improve by 20bhp or jump up to 50bhp which he said in my case my car will be increased 180bhp stock performance.

Is this incorrect ?

thanks Nathan

That sounds like sales patter to me.

As I said the 1.5TSI has never been offered in a 180 tune by VAG, and as I also mentioned the 130 & 150 are really very different.

The 130 has a very high compression ratio for a turbo charged petrol engine, VTG turbo (first for a mass produced car! 911 turbo uses VTG!!) and also runs the miller cycle rather than the usual otto cycle.

not saying it can't be tuned - but if they tuner doesn't know this walk away!

SeatFRTSI

Jan 23, 2021
That sounds like sales patter to me.

As I said the 1.5TSI has never been offered in a 180 tune by VAG, and as I also mentioned the 130 & 150 are really very different.

The 130 has a very high compression ratio for a turbo charged petrol engine, VTG turbo (first for a mass produced car! 911 turbo uses VTG!!) and also runs the miller cycle rather than the usual otto cycle.

not saying it can't be tuned - but if they tuner doesn't know this walk away!
I’m unsure what to do in this case scenario then…
I want more power, but so it’s safe and something that the engine can handle, what are is your recommendation for max BHP for my engine.
You seem to be very knowledgeable in this field and I’m clueless.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
No idea on the max safe power for this engine. That is for the tuning company to develop/test/guarantee/warrant?

Do your research on this engine's unique characteristics from the links I shared and ask more detailed questions rather than just what's the max power.

what exhaust gas temps do they see? are they within the safe temps for the VTG - much lower than a standard wastegate turbo!
what boost pressure? and is that safe for the very high 12.5:1CR to avoid knock and timing retard?
what warranty do they have if the new map destroys your VTG turbo due to high temps?

Reactions: Jazzjames

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
I’m unsure what to do in this case scenario then…
I want more power, but so it’s safe and something that the engine can handle, what are is your recommendation for max BHP for my engine.
You seem to be very knowledgeable in this field and I’m clueless.

Not to rain on your parade, but…

You’re asking the wrong questions and seem ill equipped from a technical perspective to ask the right ones. Post #13 has a lot of good questions that would need answering. This engine doesn't seem to have many (if any) tunes from the big established tuners, and therefore I would proceed with caution!

Whoever got you going on about 180hp as stock for your engine and it being detuned is at best, mistaken about your engine, or worst trying to make a sale by telling porkies. Either way, they probably aren’t the right person to be fiddling with your car’s ECU. They will probably be able to get more power, but at what cost?

All engines are capable of more. I’m sure your car would be capable of 200+ hp, for a few minutes. Then something would get very hot and probably fail, and given previous posts about the fancy variable geometry turbo on the 130hp engine, that’s gonna be pricey if it does go bang. Worth it?

Your engine was designed for efficiency and not for high power applications. I’m sure there are other reputable tuners out there, but seeing as none of the tuners I would consider using offer a tune for your particular engine, I’d be skeptical of most smaller tuning companies who offer, (sorry!) because they just don’t have the budget or equipment to test tunes for engines to a satisfactory level of reliability, which on a relatively new car of significant value, has to be a priority, right?

It begs the question: why not sell your car and get a Leon with a more powerful engine, if your car is really not fast enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peller

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh

View attachment 33089
Oh dear, the Mk3's have now gotten into 'affordable' hands. It's only a matter of time when we see them with big cannon exhausts! For me it's time to move to a Formentor lol

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

cgreggers

Aug 29, 2023
Couldn't find a centralised topic for 1.5 tsi 150 tuning but I spoke with a tuner who were in touch with Racingline / OEM and they have stopped offering any form of ECU tuning for the 1.5 tsi due to engine failures. So a word of warning for those looking to tune their cars.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
And if you have the dry clutch 7 speed DSG gearbox, you will be putting that at risk as it's only rated to 180 ft. lb. of torque which the map may exceed.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Oh dear, the Mk3's have now gotten into 'affordable' hands. It's only a matter of time when we see them with big cannon exhausts! For me it's time to move to a Formentor lol

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk
I couldn't get on with the Formentor after my MK3 Leon. Way too much invasive tech fitted.

The infotainment was my biggest gripe - touch controls for heating ( unlit at night ) and many glitches - just like the mk4 Leon.

Currently back in a MK3 Leon.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.